Unpredictable behaviour of XScope

Technical questions regarding the XTC tools and programming with XMOS.
Kabron
New User

Unpredictable behaviour of XScope

Post by Kabron »

Hello
I try to make stable debugging with XK-1A kit.
1. Ordinary Debug works fine anytime, no claims.
2. Little strange occurs with HW connection diagnostic: under XDE I got:
1 Unidentified Device (Pic1),
while from the command line tool:
Available XMOS Devices
----------------------
ID Name Adapter ID Devices
-- ---- ---------- -------
0 XMOS XTAG-2 ctcWaAS5 L1[0]
3. The main trouble concerns XScopeRT tool. I made it work after 3 days of attempts(Pic2), but very unstable. First it starts from the n-th attempt after numerous XDE restarts, USB port changing etc. Once launched it works fine until next launch, it may or may not start with no any error diagnostics. Simple it stays in Disconnected state, though I do see XLINK bus activity with my scopemeter.
Offline XScope mode does not work at all, again with no diagnosis. .xmt file does not created.
Same is in the cmd line mode.
Am I right this option is in a very-very beta test stage now?
Why there is no possibility to save XScope panel settings?
One guy on this forum asked for the source code of the XScope to improve its usability. I agree with him.
XS0.jpg
XS1.jpg
XS2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

bvx

Post by bvx »

Kabron wrote:Hello
I try to make stable debugging with XK-1A kit.
1. Ordinary Debug works fine anytime, no claims.
2. Little strange occurs with HW connection diagnostic: under XDE I got:
1 Unidentified Device (Pic1),
while from the command line tool:
Available XMOS Devices
----------------------
ID Name Adapter ID Devices
-- ---- ---------- -------
0 XMOS XTAG-2 ctcWaAS5 L1[0]
3. The main trouble concerns XScopeRT tool. I made it work after 3 days of attempts(Pic2), but very unstable. First it starts from the n-th attempt after numerous XDE restarts, USB port changing etc. Once launched it works fine until next launch, it may or may not start with no any error diagnostics. Simple it stays in Disconnected state, though I do see XLINK bus activity with my scopemeter.
Offline XScope mode does not work at all, again with no diagnosis. .xmt file does not created.
Same is in the cmd line mode.
Am I right this option is in a very-very beta test stage now?
Why there is no possibility to save XScope panel settings?
One guy on this forum asked for the source code of the XScope to improve its usability. I agree with him.
XS0.jpg
XS1.jpg
XS2.jpg
I have same issues with Win7 64bits and xTimeComposer 14.0.2 using XTAG-2 & xCORE-200 board.
I will test with Ubuntu to see if it's better as Windows especially 64bits version have lot of strange issue linked to USB & IDE.
larry
Respected Member

Post by larry »

What is your tools version? What is the configuration of your PC? Have you tried any other PCs for comparison?
bvx

Post by bvx »

Hi larry,
larry wrote:What is your tools version? What is the configuration of your PC? Have you tried
any other PCs for comparison?
I use a CoreI7 (8 threads/4cores) + Windows 7 - 64bits (8GB RAM + SSD) + USB 3.0 only ports.
The main problems seems to be support of USB3.0 on Win7 64bits + xTIMEcomposer Community 14.0.2 (I'm using XTAG-2 debugger)

List of problems related to Win7 64bits (and maybe also USB 3.0/xCore-200 young support):
  • Compilation of projects which are ultra slow:
    My actual project build in 7min50 on Win7 64bits compared to 1min on Linux Ubuntu 14.xx (same project).
  • Debug (including XScope usage which does not output anything...) (on xCORE-200 board + XTAG-2 debugger connected on USB3.0 even when using a USB 2.0 Hub) which crash 90% of time the target (with an exception in the Tile[1] core[7] after each stop or when stop on a break point),
    there is not such issue on Linux with same HW&Software.
I hope you will fix those points as soon as possible, as today I have switched to Linux for development/build & debug (even if there is some rare crash/problems)

Anyway XMOS is an amazing platform really better than what we can find in MCU/DSP/FPGA world ... (until you keep the free community version which is really a must have).

Best Regards,
Ben