IDE issues

New to XMOS and XCore? Get started here.
Skeksis

IDE issues

Post by Skeksis »

Hey all,

I'm probably doing something ridiculously stupid but I'm having trouble getting started with the IDE.

I have an XC-1A and have attempted to follow the instructions here on getting it interfaced with Windows 7. I have uninstalled the drivers chosen for me by the "higher powers" and attempted to replace them as instructed with the contents of "C:\Program Files\XMOS\DevelopmentTools\11.2.1\drivers\ftdi\*" and am instructed that:

"The best driver software for your device is already installed.

Windows has determined the driver software for your device is up to date"

Great! Says I, Windows obviously knows best. (Chuckle)

Now then, I have Eclipse C/C++ super duper edition pre-installed and have installed the most recent version (11.2.1) of the Development Tools from the downloads section of XCore.com.

When I try to run "XDE" from "Start->All Programs->XMOS->Development Tools 11.2.1" I am presented with a nice white box which kindly tells me the following:
JVM terminated. Exit Code=-1
-Xms40m
-Xms1024m
-DJava.class.path=C:\Program Files (x86)\XMOS\DevelopmentTools\11.2.1\xde_bin\\plugins/org.eclipse.equinox.launcher_1.0.201.R35x_v20090715.jar
-os win32
-ws win32
-arch x86
-showsplash
-launcher C:\Program Files (x86)\XMOS\DevelopmentTools\11.2.1\xde_bin\xde.exe
-name Xde
--launcher.library C:\Program Files (x86)\XMOS\DevelopmentTools\11.2.1\xde_bin\\plugins/org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.win32.win32.x86_1.0.200.v20090519\eclipse_1206.dll
-startup C:\Program Files (x86)\XMOS\DevelopmentTools\11.2.1\xde_bin\\plugins/org.eclipse.equinox.launcher_1.0.201.R35x_v20090715.jar
-vm C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre6\bin\client\jvm.dll
-vmargs
-Xms40m
-Xms1024m
-DJava.class.path=C:\Program Files (x86)\XMOS\DevelopmentTools\11.2.1\xde_bin\\plugins/org.eclipse.equinox.launcher_1.0.201.R35x_v20090715.jar
Can I also request (on top of assistance) that this be made copyable in a later release of XDE, pretty, pretty please?

Clicking "Okay" to this dialogue closes the window and no amount of patient waiting will convince it to change its mind and run normally.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance!

Skeksis

"Time is an illusion. Lunch-time doubly so." - Douglas Adams
Skeksis

Post by Skeksis »

After a little research & a lot of derping about I found that disabling the Windows 7 UAC functionality stops XDE from catching fire.

Go me, 'ey?

Just in case someone has a similar issue in the future, going to the Windows "Start Menu" and clicking the image (of the kitten) associated with your user account located at the very top of the menu will take you to your account control. You can disable UAC by clicking "Change User Account Control settings" and sliding the selection bar to the very bottom & clicking "Okay".

Hopefully this will help someone.
Skeksis

Post by Skeksis »

Well... My luck ran out again, it appears as though I will be documenting XDE's attempts to keep me from working on projects in this thread (as I worked out what was stopping XDE from running as I posted for help). :D

I was again presented with the error message mentioned in my first post, I have no idea why it worked yesterday and decided not to again today as I updated nothing overnight :roll: For informations sake I am running Windows 7 x64 with JRE6 (x86 & x64) and JDK 1.6.0_25 (x64) and using XDE 11.2.1.

Seeing as Eclipse for both Java and C++ work fine I assumed there was some issue with environment settings in regards to the Java VM, following instructions aimed at dodgy Eclipse installs I attempted to specify the JVM I wished to use in "xde.ini" located within the installation directory. When pointing XDE at "javaw.exe" I was presented with an error message reading "Java Virtual Machine Launcher: Could not create the Java virtual machine.", pointing it at "jvm.dll" returned similar results. Which was promising as at least it could see the thing!

After searching about a bit I found that users of Eclipse and myEclipse have run into issues where specifying too much memory for the JVM to use causes everything to break. Sure enough, changing the argument "-Xmx1024m" within "xde.ini" to "-Xmx800m" fixes the issue and allows XDE to run again.

I'm going to have to look into this further I think as I am unsure whether reducing allotted memory in this way will have detrimental affects on the IDE. I'm not short on RAM either with an easy 2Gig sitting about doing nothing... This might indicate an issue elsewhere in my set up :|

As before, I hope this helps somebody.

Jonathan.
phalt
Respected Member

Post by phalt »

You're slowly becoming an FAQ for bugs here :D It's great that you're letting us know about these issues and how you solved them!
I'm pretty sure some of the engineers will have seen this post and will investigate if the error is more common, so thanks! :)
Skeksis

Post by Skeksis »

Haha not a problem,

I loathe running into a problem which others have encountered & seeing them end forum threads with useless posts like "Oh, it's okay I fixed it!". At least this way the thread may prove useful in some way, even if it isn't a common problem.
letop
New User

Post by letop »

Well, I just downloaded xTIMEcomposer, installed it and also get the "Failed to create the virtual machine" issue.
This is with the community edition 13.0.1
This is with Windows 7 64bit.

[I just received my free starter kit, which is great, but a pity that the dev tool does not work].
XMatt
XCore Addict

Post by XMatt »

letop wrote:Well, I just downloaded xTIMEcomposer, installed it and also get the "Failed to create the virtual machine" issue.
This is with the community edition 13.0.1
This is with Windows 7 64bit.

[I just received my free starter kit, which is great, but a pity that the dev tool does not work].
Please see this Q&A topic on this issue.

http://www.xcore.com/questions/1904/win ... poser-tool
letop
New User

Post by letop »

Hi

Thanks for pointing in that direction.

However, the procedure as indicated did not work, it was acting on the correct line but not in the correct way.

I looked at my Eclipse installation and noticed the difference.