i2c signalling?

New to XMOS and XCore? Get started here.
segher
XCore Expert

Post by segher »

Ooh nice. Anything else new wrt ports? A usable cross-thread
PEEK, O/D on multibit ports, anything else?

infiniteimprobability
XCore Legend

Post by infiniteimprobability »

It's not just related to ports, but on xCORE 200 you can now divide down an external clock (1b port input to clock block), rather than having to do the buffered port clock stream trick..
babazaroni
Experienced Member

Post by babazaroni »

Good to hear about the 200 and open drain ports. This is a feature found on a lot of micros for quite a few years. This will allow I2C to be put on a 4bit port with no loss of capabilities, freeing up the valuable 1-bit ports

Speaking of I2C, I hope Xmos will have an integrated master/slave I2c library eventually, also found on many micros for many years.

There is some slave code available from an FAE but it's not integrated with master. I2C is very elegant to include the ability for a master to transmit, while at the same time another micro is treating the master as a slave. Depending on the arbitration, one of the masters will give up and resume the rest of the sequence as a slave. This can't happen if master and slave code are not integrated, as is the current situation. I'm writing my own solution.
Hagrid

Post by Hagrid »

infiniteimprobability wrote:
It's not just related to ports, but on xCORE 200 you can now divide down an external clock (1b port input to clock block), rather than having to do the buffered port clock stream trick..
Does the figure in the XCORE Architecture Flyer in the Hardware Response(TM) Port section reflect this capability?

Would love to see an accurate (and fully labelled) diagram of the clock block and ports. This is for the purpose of preparing training materials.
Folknology
XCore Legend

Post by Folknology »

babazaroni wrote: ..

Speaking of I2C, I hope Xmos will have an integrated master/slave I2c library eventually, also found on many micros for many years.

BTW babazoroni the new Xmos 'i2c_lib' implements both master and slave, synchronous and asynchronous you really should check it out.
babazaroni
Experienced Member

Post by babazaroni »

Thanks Folknology for the heads up. I did look at the docs for the new I2C library.

It does not support multi-master which is what I also need.

It also seems to require 2 cores to implement slave and master running together.

Too bad, since it's quite easy to do multi-master arbitration and also master/slave in a single core.

I'll have to stick with my version for now.
goodfeather
Member++

Post by goodfeather »

Dear Sirs,
After studying your discussion, I still do not know the reason why XS1 "module_i2c_single_port" can not perform reading registers from the slave device.

Could you please give me more details?

Thanks
mon2
XCore Legend

Post by mon2 »

Hi goodfeather.

What are the issues you are facing ? What are the details of your project ? Slave device details ?

Do you have the required pull-up resistors to +3v3 for I2C communication ?

The I2C library does work well. Here is a post where we tested the XMOS StartKit as an I2C master working with the SiLabs Si5351A PLL as the slave. See page 2 of this thread for the full source code which you should be able to modify very quickly to support your target I2C slave address:

http://www.xcore.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 1&start=10

Kumar
goodfeather
Member++

Post by goodfeather »

Dear Kumar,
I plan to use single port I2C design instead of two 1-bit ports.

But after reading "module_i2c_single_port" and "lib_i2c3.1.6"source code, I found XS1 can not perform reading registers from the slave device under these modules.

To my understanding, if XS1 master could peek ACK from slave device, it also can peek data from slave.

Why not?

Thanks
mon2
XCore Legend

Post by mon2 »

Ok, after some digging, found the same notice you raised:

Is this for a new design ? Perhaps plan to allocate 2 single bit ports for I2C ?

The XCORE-200 series CPU do not have this restriction ? Move to use the XCORE-200 series devices ?

Yup, this thread confirms that XCORE-200 works as you are requesting:

https://www.xcore.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2033