Putting headers on startkit

New to XMOS and XCore? Get started here.
pstnotpd
XCore Addict

Putting headers on startkit

Post by pstnotpd »

I also received the startkit a few days ago. Like it!!!

But I want to put some proper headers on it, so I scanned the digikey catalogue but it is quite bewildering...

Does anybody have part numbers? What I'm after is male headers and a bunch of seperate connection wires which fit those headers.

Folknology
XCore Legend

Post by Folknology »

There are a few options:

1) For the RPi header you need 2*13 0.1" 2 row header
2) there are also 2 single row 0.1" headers J8 containing Xmos links and part of 32 bit port (13 way) and J7 providing the same pins on the PCIe header.

The Rpi header can be used with an IDC cable or tapped individually with jumpers.

J7 & 8 will actually plug into a breadboard (if you populate it below) which allows you to escape them, however it needs to be a large breadboard as the startkit itself over hangs the connectors by a long way. You could alternatively populate on top and tap individual connections using jumper wires.

For purchasing headers and jumpers ebay is cost effective, search for headers and choose the longest ones (normally 40 pin) these can be cut down with a pair of side cutters or even by hand. As for jumpers these come in different and mixed genders just do a search on 'wire jumpers'. these are handy for linking between startkit and other boards or breadboards etc..

PS you also have a 5 pin supply voltage header which is also handy, this can be populated from the left overs!

regards
Al
tetraflak

Post by tetraflak »

Great question (Great answer )! I also received a start kit recently and would like to lay some headers. I have soldered a million headers in my day but do not want to mangle this board.
Any info is good. I will be using recycled headers from the parts bin its a blizzard outside and
RadioShack (no matter how many times I ask) will not deliver! =)
Lefty4000

Post by Lefty4000 »

All the headers can be purchased from Sparkfun.

The single row headers as well as the ADC header are clipped to what you need so you are going to buy more than what you need. That is just how they are usually sold
AJB2K3
Member++

Post by AJB2K3 »

I ordered my headers at the beginning of the week but will have to wait on Royal Snail to deliver them.