Using XMOS AVB endpoint and configuring it

If you have a simple question and just want an answer.
cchandini
Member++

Using XMOS AVB endpoint and configuring it

Post by cchandini »

Hi! I am trying to use XR-AVB-LC-BRD as an AVB endpoint either as talker or listener for the first time. On following steps mentioned in the PDF, https://www.xmos.com/download/private/A ... e(1.1).pdf, when I try to choose hardware as mentioned in step 6 of section 4, 'hardware' or 'XTAG-2 adapter' is not present in the list. Infact, the drop down list is empty. Device Manager shows XTAG-2 as a connected device.

Also, on connecting board via ethernet cable to PC, I am able to see PTP and MRP packets without running any application.

Further, when XMOS AVB device is connected to another AVB device, even without giving any input to first AV device, sine wave is obtained as output at the listener end. Why does this happen?

Can someone kindly help with the following issues?

1. Why xTimecomposer does not show XTAG-2 in the devices list?
2. How can I configure my XMOS AVB device as a talker or listener according to my requirements?
3. Is XMOS AVB device flashed before shipping it to customer? Or does the customer has to flash it?
4. Why is the sine wave observed as output?

This is an urgent work. Please kindly reply as soon as possible. Thanks!

Ross
XCore Expert

Post by Ross »

Regarding the XTAG issue, what OS are you running on?
cchandini
Member++

Post by cchandini »

I tried using both Windows and Linux.
In Windows at least I got an empty drop down list. Linux did not even show a drop down list.
larry
Respected Member

Post by larry »

I'd suggest downloading and compiling firmware so you know which version you are running. Look for AVB Endpoint on XMOS website.

Do you have a 1722.1 controller on the network? If not, you need to explicitly enable basic 1722.1 support in your firmware.

Default configuration is combined talker and listener on each endpoint.

Sine wave is one of the test channels, in addition to the actual analog lines. You can switch between those using one of the push-buttons.
cchandini
Member++

Post by cchandini »

>> Default configuration is combined talker and listener on each endpoint.

Does this mean board is already flashed with talker and listener applications?

>> Sine wave is one of the test channels, in addition to the actual analog lines. You can switch between those using one of the push-buttons.

Which push button are you referring here? There are multiple buttons present on the board. Can you please mention label of push-button and how can it be used to configure input channel.

Thanks,
Chandini
larry
Respected Member

Post by larry »

The button will be labeled something like "channel select". Please refer to AVB Quick Start Guide section 5, Setting up the hardware.

If you bought your board from a distributor, I would expect it to have firmware programmed, but it's best to re-program it so you can be sure which version you are running.
cchandini
Member++

Post by cchandini »

>> Do you have a 1722.1 controller on the network? If not, you need to explicitly enable basic 1722.1 support in your firmware.

Is there any clean way of disabling 1722.1 controller?
I bought the XMOS AVB Endpoint kit in February 2015. With the factory firmware, I never saw any AVDECC packets. But after flashing firmware version 6.1.1 (app_avb_lc_demo from AVB Endpoint Software 6.1.1), I can see AVDECC packets being sent and MSRP packets which had stream ID and destination address set to specific values (similar to 0x0022XXXX) in factory firmware version are now set to zero (0x0000) after flashing firmware 6.1.1

Help required asap.

Thanks,
Chandini
larry
Respected Member

Post by larry »

It could be that the newer firmware reads MAC address from the OTP while the older firmware doesn't.

You can read back the OTP using xburn to see if it has MAC address written.

Code: Select all

xburn --read --target XS1-L16A-128-QF124-C10
MAC address would be written at 0x7FD and 0x7FE and start with the XMOS OUI 00:22:97.
larry
Respected Member

Post by larry »

Is there any clean way of disabling 1722.1 controller?
Setting AVB_1722_1_CONTROLLER_ENABLED to 0 disables the built-in controller
cchandini
Member++

Post by cchandini »

Sorry. The question was "Is there any clean way of disabling 1722.1 protocol in the newer firmware?".