Disabling 1722.1 functionality in XMOS AVB Endpoint

If you have a simple question and just want an answer.
cchandini
Member++

Disabling 1722.1 functionality in XMOS AVB Endpoint

Post by cchandini »

I am using an XMOS AVB Endpoint (XR-AVB-LC-BRD) purchased in February 2015. Initially, I was facing problem in getting the board detected by PC using an XTAG 2 debug adapter and was using it with factory firmware. On checking packets sent by XMOS board, the logs didnt show any AVDECC Discovery Protocol packets. I do not know the reason if 1722.1 functionality was not present or was it disabled.

>> Does the factory firmware disables the 1722.1 protocol by default or did my board have an older version of firmware that did not support 1722.1 protocol?

Few days back, my XMOS board got detected on my PC. But, later I realised without flashing (or doing anything else with the board) it stopped working. On flashing app_avb_lc_demo project (taken from AVB Endpoint Software 6.1.1), I was started receiving AVDECC packets and MSRP packets send Talker advertise with Stream ID set as 0x000 and Destination address also set as 0x000.

>> Does 1722.1 talker expect acknowledgement from 1722.1 listener to send MSRP packet with proper Stream ID for Talker advertise in MSRP packet?

>> Is there a clean way to disable 1722.1 functionality in app_avb_lc_demo project ? Currently, making #define AVB_ENABLE_1722_1 0 is not helping and is giving build failure.

Help required asap.

Regards,
Chandini

henk
Respected Member

Post by henk »

Hi cchandini,

[quote]
>> Is there a clean way to disable 1722.1 functionality in app_avb_lc_demo project ? Currently, making #define AVB_ENABLE_1722_1 0 is not helping and is giving build failure.
[/quote

What build failure are you getting?

Cheers,
Henk
cchandini
Member++

Post by cchandini »

Hi Henk,

On disabling AVB_ENABLE_1722_1 and building, I get this error -
C:/Users/cchandini/workspace/module_avb/src/avb.xc:573:9: error: unknown function identifier `avb_1722_1_process_packet' (possibly missing prototype?)

When this function is commented, I get following errors during build -

C:/Users/cchandini/workspace/module_avb_1722_1/src/avb_1722_1_adp.xc: Error: Undefined reference to 'avb_entity_on_new_entity_available'
C:/Users/cchandini/workspace/module_avb_1722_1/src/avb_1722_1_acmp_periodic.xc: Error: Undefined reference to 'avb_listener_on_talker_connect'
C:/Users/cchandini/workspace/module_avb_1722_1/src/avb_1722_1_acmp_periodic.xc: Error: Undefined reference to 'avb_listener_on_talker_disconnect'
C:/Users/cchandini/workspace/module_avb_1722_1/src/avb_1722_1_acmp_periodic.xc: Error: Undefined reference to 'avb_talker_on_listener_connect'
C:/Users/cchandini/workspace/module_avb_1722_1/src/avb_1722_1_acmp_periodic.xc: Error: Undefined reference to 'avb_talker_on_listener_connect_failed'
C:/Users/cchandini/workspace/module_avb_1722_1/src/avb_1722_1_acmp_periodic.xc: Error: Undefined reference to 'avb_talker_on_listener_disconnect'
C:/Users/cchandini/workspace/module_avb_1722_maap/src/avb_1722_maap.xc: Error: Undefined reference to 'avb_talker_on_source_address_reserved'

Also, can I download AVB Endpoint Software version 5.0 from somewhere ?

Regards,
Chandini
henk
Respected Member

Post by henk »

HI chandini,

I am not sure about the version numbers;

The most recent version is on https://github.com/xmos/lib_tsn

Is that the one you are using?

Cheers,
Henk
cchandini
Member++

Post by cchandini »

Hi Henk,

I'm using firmware available at https://www.xmos.com/support/boards?product=14769 (AVB Endpoint Software version 6.1.1). The board that I purchased had factory firmware version 5.0 which does not have support for 1722.1 controller.

I want to revert back to factory firmware version. Is AVB Endpoint Software version 5.0 available anywhere or disable 1722.1 protocol from the current firmware that I flashed?

Thanks,
Chandini
henk
Respected Member

Post by henk »

Hi cchandini,

I don't know whether there is a pre-packaged version 5 available anywhere; maybe some of the other people on this forum know.

You can get the AVB star version 5 from github (you have to go back a few years in the history), and then make sure you compile it with old tools and old libraries.

I suspect that many bugs will have been fixed from version 5 to 7. You may want to raise an issue on the newest version that describes the problem you have found? That will enable the authors to fix it?

Cheers,
Henk
cchandini
Member++

Post by cchandini »

Hi Henk,

>> You can get the AVB star version 5 from github (you have to go back a few years in the history), and then make sure you compile it with old tools and old libraries.

I have already checked github and couldnt find any version older than 6.0.x. The oldest one available was this.

>> You may want to raise an issue on the newest version that describes the problem you have found? That will enable the authors to fix it?

I have already posted my query. I am not able to disable 1722.1 protocol in app_avb_lc_demo application in a clean way. On setting AVB_ENABLE_1722_1 to 0, it is giving build failure. Error messages have been posted on previous replies in this thread.

I guess this issue has existed before as well. Please check this thread - http://www.xcore.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... lit=1722.1. If you read point 4 of last reply, the person has quoted - 'If you are happy that you do not require the 1722.1 protocols then you should be able to save code by disabling them. However, it doesn't look like that is an easy fix. I have tried quickly disabling them, but get compile errors that would take more investigation to get to the bottom of.' I am facing similar issue. Hence, either need version 5.0 of firmware or should be able to disable 1722.1 protocol in current firmware (version 6.1.1) that I am using.

Regards,
Chandini
henk
Respected Member

Post by henk »

Hi Chandini,

The authors may or may not read this thread.

To raise this as an issue go to https://github.com/xmos/lib_tsn/issues and open a "new issue". That logs this as a problem that will be closed when the problem is fixed.

There are very old versions on github - I just went back 4 years and found a 5.2 release. Eg
https://github.com/xmos/lib_tsn/tree/eb ... 4c98d4e994 is a commit of release 5.2beta3.

Cheers,
Henk
cchandini
Member++

Post by cchandini »

Hi Henk,

Thank you for the suggestion. Will post it as an issue.
I downloaded firmware 5.2 from the github link you have mentioned. Even there, on disabling 1722.1 protocol I am facing some other build error. Can you please share github link for version 5.0 of firmware and also tool version that should be used to build it?

Thanks,
Chandini
larry
Respected Member

Post by larry »

You can disable the endpoint's built-in simple controller.

Endpoint's 1722.1 functionality is integral, however, and can't be disabled. Without it, no controller can connect streams or even see the endpoints.

It looks like version 5.0 of the AVB software isn't available on XMOS website. I'm happy to share it with you, just send me a private message. Do bear in mind though that 5.0 is a very old release (will need xTIMEcomposer version 11.11). I would definitely recommend using version 6 instead where many features and bug fixes were brought in for AVnu compliance.