AVB VendorID Topic is solved

If you have a simple question and just want an answer.
Sebastian

AVB VendorID

Post by Sebastian »

Hello,

I'm sorry for the stupid question, but I searched for a long time the web and found no note, where it would be possible to apply for an AVB Vendor ID.

USB looks quite clear. But not AVB :)

If anybody could give me an advise or an "search entry", it would be great :)

Thanks,
Sebastian

View Solution
Andy
Respected Member

Post by Andy »

Every AVB endpoint contains an unique Entity ID advertised by 1722.1. This ID is an EUI-64 which is usually computed from the the MAC address of the primary network port on your device. See http://standards.ieee.org/develop/regauth/tut/eui64.pdf

If you don't already own a block of MAC addresses, your starting point would be to purchase a MAC Address Block Small (MA-S), which gives you a 36-bit OUI-36 value assigned by the IEEE that you can use to generate a unique MAC address for every device you produce. See http://standards.ieee.org/develop/regau ... index.html

The XMOS implementation generates the Entity ID based on the MAC address it reads from the OTP. You must burn a unique MAC address into every device and must not use the XMOS MAC address range for your own devices. Hope this helps.
Sebastian

Post by Sebastian »

Hello Andy,

thank you for your answer and sorry for my confusing syntax.

We already own an MAC address block, so that is fine ;)

I'm more interrested in the AVB_1722_1_ADP_VENDOR_ID
It is defined in avb_1722_1_default_conf.h in the tsn lib.

XMOS is using the Word: 0x00229700u

I already search the IEEE page, but did not find something about it.

Thanks,
Sebastian
Andy
Respected Member

Post by Andy »

OK slight complication - the Vendor ID part of 1722.1 doesn't exist anymore. The XMOS implementation is out of date in this regard with what was published in the final standard. The ratified standard has a single 64-bit field called the entity_model_id instead of two separate 32-bit fields named vendor_id and model_id. This was changed to account for the following:

If you have a 24-bit OUI (Organizationally Unique Identifier) the simple answer is that the Vendor ID should be these 3 bytes with a 0 byte appended. If you don't have a 24-bit OUI but have an OUI-36, you should make the AVB_1722_1_ADP_VENDOR_ID the first 32 bits of it, and the first nibble of AVB_1722_1_ADP_MODEL_ID the remaining 4 bits. You then have 28 bits left to give your product a unique ID.

The 1722.1 standard says the following about the entity_model_id:
The entity_model_id field is an EUI-64 used to identify an AVDECC Entity data model from a vendor. These numbers are vendor-specific and different AVDECC Entity data models shall have different entity_model_id values.

If a firmware revision changes the structure of an AVDECC Entity data model then it shall use a new unique entity_model_id.
Sebastian

Post by Sebastian »

thank you for this good explanation.