Help me select a processor for 6/2 multichannel I2S

Technical discussions around xCORE processors (e.g. xcore-200 & xcore.ai).
RoundRobin
New User

Help me select a processor for 6/2 multichannel I2S

Post by RoundRobin »

I have a Linux enabled mini computer (with usb 2.0 host) that needs to take in 2 I2S streams and output minimum 6 I2S streams. In other words, I need to interface 8 stereo streams concurrently. Sample rate is 48kHz, 16 bit.

1. Could you please advice the cheapest processor that can be used for this purpose?
2. Does XMOS processors have legacy support in the Linux kernel? Is it just acting as a standard USB audio device?
3. How much programming is needed to create the firmware for this setup?

henk
Respected Member

Post by henk »

Hi RoundRobin,

As a starting point:

1 An XU210-512-TQ128 will do the trick, an XU208-256-TQ64 may do but I think you run out of IO. The XUF parts are slightly more expensive but have an embedded flash which makes life simpler.

2 If you execute the USB-Audio firmware on an XMOS processor, then it will show up as a USB-Audio device on your computer, if the kernel is configured to support USB audio.

3 You will need to configure the firmware. Assuming you have a standard setup (an external master clock of an appropriate frequency), then it shouldn't be that much programming work.

Have a read through <https://www.xmos.com/download/private/s ... rc1%29.pdf>. It is long, but contains many bits that will be of interest.

Cheers,
Henk
RoundRobin
New User

Post by RoundRobin »

Highly appreciated, thank you!