XK-1A usb to jlink issues

Technical discussions related to any XMOS development kit or reference design. Eg XK-1A, sliceKIT, etc.
Bob

XK-1A usb to jlink issues

Post by Bob »

Hi All,
I'd appreciate some guidance here.
Having bought a G4 based XC-1A dev board and been seriously impressed(as I was with Dave May's T4 & T8 transputers), then went back to RS and bought another three XC-1As and an XK-1A; the xk being because of the greatly enhanced jtag2 debug capability and xscope.

The xk worked for a day and a half and then went into a big sulk. Trying to run live just brought the option of simulator. Did though manage to get it to work with persistence, and it continued to do so until I changed devices. Suspected a likely hardware fault so returned it for a replacement. The new one won't work at all.

Symptoms(..and this is running on a quad core vista machine):
- plugging the usb in shows success and registered as libUSB-Win32 Devices ->XMOS XTAG-2 . Shows as working (relevant driver files are libusb0.sys and libusb0.dll). After a while(minute or two) the board usually gets deregistered ..but not always.
- xtime composer either crashes or returns with a dialogue offering only simulator in debug or run mode.
- xrun -l hangs for around 30 seconds then replies 'No available Devices Found'. It replies immediately with a collection of xc-1a board connected.
- I used the vista remove driver button, blitzed the xtimecomposer V12 install and added the V13 beta so should have the most recent drivers.

Soooo.. is this another vista malaise or a hardware issue?
If I was to run on Linux would the problem go away? (..this gives me a major headache though because my linux machines need major reorganisation to add application space, and I will need to support some kind of msoft dev/debug environment so others can test their existing c code in a world they are familiar with..)

Two successive board failures and one from new makes me very suspicious that this is not the fundamental problem.

sethu_jangala
XCore Expert

Post by sethu_jangala »

Hi Bob,

Can you try running in some other machine to make sure the problem is with the hardware. If you found the issue is with the hardware could you give us details available on the backside of XTAG2 debug adapter. Because, this helps in identifying the firmware version programmed in the XTAG2.

Sethu.