Two port Ethernet on SliceKit

Technical discussions related to any XMOS development kit or reference design. Eg XK-1A, sliceKIT, etc.
dimitris

Two port Ethernet on SliceKit

Post by dimitris »

Hi there,

has anyone tried to run the Ethernet demos for two ports?
The design document says that one can define NUM_ETHERNET_PORTS up to 2 however the implementaion breaks down.
It looks like the docs or the code need some updating or I am missing something big here.

Regards,
Dimitris

sethu_jangala
XCore Expert

Post by sethu_jangala »

dimitris wrote:The design document says that one can define NUM_ETHERNET_PORTS up to 2 however the implementaion breaks down
That was done as part of experimentation. This will not work with two ports. Which application do you want to use this for? Have you seen the AVB Daisy chain demo video.
dimitris

Post by dimitris »

Hi Sethu,

I am trying to implement a link level (and later maybe IP level) two port ethernet for Daisy Chain connection. The Daisy Chain Demo is exactly what I need plus AVB compatibility which is great but I am afraid it's gonna take up a lot of resources! In fact I would like to strip down the link layer if possible, especially in terms of cores.

So, the demo has been excpected! I have already contacted XMOS for it however I was told that the reference design is not yet to be released. Don't keep us waiting!

Why do you think it would not work?

Regards,
Dimitris

PS: It would be nice if someone corrected the reference PDF. ;-)
sethu_jangala
XCore Expert

Post by sethu_jangala »

dimitris wrote:PS: It would be nice if someone corrected the reference PDF. ;-)
Could you please tell me which PDF are you talking about? so that I will carry the information to the right persons note who can correct the documents.

Sethu.
dimitris

Post by dimitris »

Sethu, this is the document.

Page 14/28
NUM_ETHERNET_PORTS
The number of ethernet ports to support. Maximum value is 2 in the current implementation

https://www.xmos.com/download/public/XM ... rc0.a).pdf

Is there any information about when will the Daisy Chain reference design be released?
dimitris

Post by dimitris »

So, I have been trying to duplicate some code and run two ethernet slices on one Slicekit.
I have initialized the Circle and the Triangle slots as they share the same pin design.
Now I have two Ethernet servers in lite version running on different threads. However, I still get a "violation of parallel rules" which doesn't make sense and it's not clear to me where it comes from.
The xTime says that it comes on this last line of "the_server" implementation. I was expecting that duplicates of the code running on different threads should be able to run together. Any suggestions where it might be coming from?

Code: Select all

if (new_status != phy_status) {
                                  outuint(appIn, -1);
                                  appIn :> int _;
                                  appIn <: new_status;
                                  appIn <: 0;
                                  phy_status = new_status;
				}