PCIe x1 prototyping board?

Technical discussions related to any XMOS development kit or reference design. Eg XK-1A, sliceKIT, etc.
pstnotpd
XCore Addict

PCIe x1 prototyping board?

Post by pstnotpd »

I know I've asked this before....

Does anyone know of a cheap PCIe x1 prototyping board with all lanes isolated? Nearly all extenders I've found don't have that. I have found a Twin Industries board but me thinks $72 is a bit much...

TSC
Experienced Member

Post by TSC »

http://www.xcore.com/projects/protoslice

Open files with Eagle (I think) and generate gerbers. Order PCBs from seeedstudio. Cheap service with 5-7 day lead time.

ENIG finish, recommended because of the PCIe edge connector pads, is an extra $16.00.
pstnotpd
XCore Addict

Post by pstnotpd »

Yes, I've seen that one and contacted Folknology already. According to him the JTAG lanes aren't connected through and that's what I actually want as they also aren't pinned out on the header of the slicekit. I haven't done PCB design in 20 years so that's quite a challenge.

Does seeedstudio provide worldwide service?
mon2
XCore Legend

Post by mon2 »

pstnotpd wrote:
Yes, I've seen that one and contacted Folknology already. According to him the JTAG lanes aren't connected through and that's what I actually want as they also aren't pinned out on the header of the slicekit. I haven't done PCB design in 20 years so that's quite a challenge.

Does seeedstudio provide worldwide service?
What exactly are you looking for in the break out board ? Please supply more details.
TSC wrote:http://www.xcore.com/projects/protoslice

Open files with Eagle (I think) and generate gerbers. Order PCBs from seeedstudio. Cheap service with 5-7 day lead time.

ENIG finish, recommended because of the PCIe edge connector pads, is an extra $16.00.
Nice work Alan ! From the pic of the PCB, concerned if the PCIe fingers in the layout are long enough to allow for proper access (soldering, etc.) to interface to custom designs. It looks like the PCIe edge fingers will be all hidden once docked inside of the PCIe female connectors. It would be nice to have each of the PCIe traces be brought out to a non-plated via with a hole diameter to support a wire-wrap wire.
Folknology
XCore Legend

Post by Folknology »

Actually the patchslice is a better place to start from, but it does not include the JTAG pins as pstnotpd comments
Nice work Alan ! From the pic of the PCB, concerned if the PCIe fingers in the layout are long enough to allow for proper access (soldering, etc.) to interface to custom designs. It looks like the PCIe edge fingers will be all hidden once docked inside of the PCIe female connectors. It would be nice to have each of the PCIe traces be brought out to a non-plated via with a hole diameter to support a wire-wrap wire.
The PCIe connections are tricky to route for low cost manufacture, getting those vias in would be difficult IMHO and with the patch slice unnecessary.

regards
Al
pstnotpd
XCore Addict

Post by pstnotpd »

mon2 wrote:What exactly are you looking for in the break out board ? Please supply more details.
Basically a proto/patch slice with all the PCIe connections, including jtag, pinned out.

Originally because chained slicekits just take up way to much space and I want to stack them, so I could use this for a short flexible interconnect. And right now I'm slowly succeeding in building a "startstack" which I want to try and connect through the TP1 headers to the slicekit. But no JTAG is available on any of the pin headers.