Documentation little mistake about XTAG2

Archived XCore tutorials.
octal
XCore Addict

Documentation little mistake about XTAG2

Post by octal »

While checking the official XMOS documentation about their boards to plan translations to French, there is a recurrent little mistake about XTAG2 dongle, there is always something like:
n be used to connect XMOS development boards with an XSYS2 connector to PCs,
This should be turned to "connector to computer" as this dongle is used on both PC and MAC systems. This can mislead a newcomer or a future user !!!

Bianco
XCore Expert

Post by Bianco »

Well computers isn't much better (i think even worse) since microcontrollers and XMOS chips theirselves are also computers. I wonder how long people can stick with the term PC referring to IBM-PC compatibles because i think that within 10 years most PC's will be shipped with EFI and without BIOS.
octal
XCore Addict

Post by octal »

Hi Bianco,
THIS is the problem. When PC mean Personal Computer, 99% of users still consider it IBM PC compatible computer.
And the term "Computer" for 99% of users is something having a display and keyb, not a microcontroller or any other specific intelligent electronics.
phalt
Respected Member

Post by phalt »

I think most users intending to develop on the XMOS platform can decipher the meaning of PC when they read the documentation.
Heater
Respected Member

Post by Heater »

When did this happen?

When it first came about that people had computers for personal use at home or work there were many varieties from many suppliers. They were know as "Personal Computers", think of all those different CP/M machines and whatever else. There was a magazine in the UK that covered them all "Personal Computer World".

As a special case there case the IBM PC. 30 years ago on the 12th Aug this year by the way. IBM has not made a PC since 2006.

So "PC" was and is "Personal Computer" no matter what form it takes or who makes it. It computes for you personally:)
ale500
Respected Member

Post by ale500 »

My TK-85 (brazilian version, with discrete video circuitry, of the ZX-81) had in yellow letters "Personal Computer" on the top of the case. That was of course a Z-80 Based 16 KBytes machine :). I think that could hardly compile XS1 code, let alone connect to any XTAG dongle...! :D