G4th

Archived group discussions. Please post all group discussions under their relevant XCore group page.
DrFingersSchaefer
Experienced Member

G4th

Post by DrFingersSchaefer »

Fun and Forth for the XS1-G4

"Dr Fingers Schaefer, The Lobotomy Kid"
Caesar ad sum iam forti
Brutus ad erat
Caesar sic in omnibus
Brutus sic in at
:ugeek:
DrFingersSchaefer
Experienced Member

It is years since I last looked at Forth, but a quick recap has convinced me that it may be worth while creating a Forth for the G4 processor (Hence G4th). More than likely written in Assembler.

Does anyone else have Forth experience or interested in taking part ??

This is a discussion group for if you have/are.

The projects objectives are to create a G4th, initially something like the ANS spec and then add in any necessary extras to make best expose/use of all the native features of the processor.

Caesar ad sum iam forti
Brutus ad erat
Caesar sic in omnibus
Brutus sic in at
Folknology
XCore Legend

Post by Folknology »

Here some links that may be helpful/interesting:

http://home.iae.nl/users/mhx/t4artic.html
http://www.ultratechnology.com/

and of course worth checking out SEAforth-24 http://www.intellasys.net/index.php?opt ... &Itemid=75 to see what your competing with ;-)

Forth isn't really my thing however so can't really help with implementation.

regards
Al
DrFingersSchaefer
Experienced Member

Thanks for those.

I have already had a browse through most except the transputer one. The tForth links I found were dead so yours was great. Many thanks.

I still have a tube or two of T8's kicking about and some TRAM boards, can't bear to let them go. Shame the silicon went EOL some time ago.

TBH I had all but given up on forth as well some years ago, but I think it will be just the ticket for the G4's and 3D networks. It will be fun to have OS, Development and Production environment all on chip and extensible.

Fortunately I still had the forth book "Starting Forth" by Leo Brodie, to hand so am doing some recapping. Definitely a recommended read for anyone starting of in Forth and very accessible.

Caesar ad sum iam forti
Brutus ad erat
Caesar sic in omnibus
Brutus sic in at
DrFingersSchaefer
Experienced Member

OK, The first cut of the project files are ready for me to upload, but unfortunately the upload looks to be struggling. I think Jason is currently looking into this for us.

The package when I get it up loaded has in it the first cut of the project files with all of the ANS Forth 1994 word list included as comments, a simple makefile IDE for Ubuntu, a text file copy of the ANS Forth 1994 standard for reference.

The source files are written to be preprocessed using the Gnu m4 macro language before being assembled with the XDE from a command line.

Running make without parameters shows the usage as does "make usage". I will get around to adding a readme.txt file soon.

If anyone wants a copy of the files while we are sorting out file uploads if you PM me with your email address i will send the direct.
Caesar ad sum iam forti
Brutus ad erat
Caesar sic in omnibus
Brutus sic in at
DrFingersSchaefer
Experienced Member

Many thanks to Jason for uploading the files for me I was struggling with, they are now available from the project page.

All comments and feedback welcome.
Caesar ad sum iam forti
Brutus ad erat
Caesar sic in omnibus
Brutus sic in at