Ye~XCore Transputer LINC

Archived group discussions. Please post all group discussions under their relevant XCore group page.
shawn
XCore Addict

Ye~XCore Transputer LINC

Post by shawn »

"All things related and not, Transputers" I start this group to encourage
XCore enthusiast that maybe interested in Tranputers applied or related
to the XCore. I have a few legacy transputers board's, I'll donate to any
project or projects If request warrants. XCore Tranputers LINC maybe ?

nieuwhzn
Member++

Post by nieuwhzn »

I'm trying to be diplomatic but I don't think we should waste our time with Transputers anymore. I loved them when they came out in the eighties and spent more time playing with them than my graduate work was allowing. I too have some transputer boards lying around still (Tek 4/8 for those who still remember) but it is just not worth reviving them except for nostalgic purposes.
The XMOS core is a worthy descendant of the Transputer (except for the lacking memory management) and, I think, that any effort is better spend on these new chips.
shawn
XCore Addict

Post by shawn »

I couldn't agree with you more, Nieuwhzn. Should it be Ye Olde~, it is nostalgic
thats why I made said group. There approx 25yrs of transputer history. Because
Inmos is kin to Xmos there will be a lot of people going to this sight for thinking
about said Inmos, so rather than reiterating about said archetecture, just LINC.
Now if someone want's to make a simulator, emulator, crosscompiler, spacewire,
spi bridge/link, or reseach CSP. . I, It software, that interests me, and porting
all 25yrs of it to the Xmos, will only help developers. This olde stuff might be a
considerable burden for contemporay projects, ad2010. I get Niewhzn drift. My
hardware resources I offer only then to research or nosalga projects.
BrianMiller

Post by BrianMiller »

I remember playing around with a transputer ISA card back in the early 90's on my dads 386 machine. I remember it rendering a fractal and I remember the Occam tools on 5 1/4 disks. I never did anything but run the demos on it.
shawn
XCore Addict

Post by shawn »

BrianMiller wrote:I remember playing around with a transputer ISA card back in the early 90's on my dads 386 machine. I remember it rendering a fractal and I remember the Occam tools on 5 1/4 disks. I never did anything but run the demos on it.
Maybe Occam came from the future. those 51/4 give meaning to the word floppy. Occam I read about it, is it
any OS hmmm,,,, seed from the future,,, have you heard about my einstien e-mail program. It looks BLISS
or POP2 like, Occam seems Way far ahead of it's time, a NOP waiting for an event ; )
Heater
Respected Member

Post by Heater »

Forget about the original Transputers. Unless you actually have some of course, not many do.

Targeting the Occam compiler to the XMOS sounds like a great idea though. Way out of my ability.
shawn
XCore Addict

Post by shawn »

1st issue as is the theme of things, is the memory controller.
Then of course the simulation of the links, with Inmos emulation.
I'll most likely will get around to this latter on. Right now XCore
needs it own shell, like zsh perhaps. Once we deal with that the
issue of tools to xcross compile to Xmos would be more relizable.