Kent Displays on sale!

Off topic discussions that do not fit into any of the above can go here. Please keep it clean and respectful.
jonathan
Respected Member

Post by jonathan »

OK I need to know where the best place to get some 1mm pitch ZIF flat flex connector cable is in the UK. Assume I've never done this kind of thing before. 16 pins.

Help appreciated - thanks! :-)

leon_heller
XCore Expert

Post by leon_heller »

It's usually made to order by a similar process to making PCBs. It can be expensive for small quantities.
Last edited by leon_heller on Thu Mar 04, 2010 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jonathan
Respected Member

Post by jonathan »

leon_heller wrote:It's usually made to order by a similar process to making PCBs. It can be expensive.
Hmm OK. But who from? Does anyone here have any? I'll buy it.
johanar

Post by johanar »

jonathan wrote:OK I need to know where the best place to get some 1mm pitch ZIF flat flex connector cable is in the UK. Assume I've never done this kind of thing before. 16 pins.

Help appreciated - thanks! :-)
I think you might be able to salvage such from a CD/DVD drive, in case you have one of those lying around. http://www.starlino.com/nokia_lcd_connect.html
otitov
XCore Addict

Post by otitov »

international suppliers on eBay could be very helpful and really cheap.

i see jonathan got some specs for connection cable. good!

i will check on eBay and let you know if i got something.
jonathan
Respected Member

Post by jonathan »

otitov wrote:international suppliers on eBay could be very helpful and really cheap.

i see jonathan got some specs for connection cable. good!

i will check on eBay and let you know if i got something.
There are some on Ebay but I was too impatient, so went and bought one from here:

http://www.toby.co.uk/Content/catalogue ... =AXO-xxxxx

Looks OK, if I screwed up I'll keep trying till I get it right.
leon_heller
XCore Expert

Post by leon_heller »

Toby are very helpful, I'm getting some ARM SWD headers and cables from them. You could probably have a got a couple of free samples direct from Samtec.
paul
XCore Addict

Post by paul »

Digikey.co.uk and farnell.com are good for this sort of thing (though usually a bit expensive unless your buying sensible $$ to get free shipping etc). Also, depending on your location RS (rswww.com) might be worth a look as you can pick stuff up from their trade counters...
Paul

On two occasions I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
jonathan
Respected Member

Post by jonathan »

paul wrote:Digikey.co.uk and farnell.com are good for this sort of thing (though usually a bit expensive unless your buying sensible $$ to get free shipping etc). Also, depending on your location RS (rswww.com) might be worth a look as you can pick stuff up from their trade counters...
Thanks Paul. Much appreciated.

Must confess as a "component newbie" I find the part lists totally bewildering. Hope no-one minds me posting frequent questions about what the right bits and pieces I need are. I learn fast.

Should have my cables tomorrow, as well as an ADC for the camera. Will keep you posted.
jonathan
Respected Member

Post by jonathan »

The cable arrived and it's good to go. I ordered this one:

http://www.toby.co.uk/Content/catalogue ... =AXO-xxxxx

AXO-01264 FFC1.00A16-0300L4.0-4.0-08.0-08.0-SBBB

With the "other end" of the cable, does anyone have any advice? 1mm pitch, should I split it carefully before trying to solder it, or try to solder down a connector, or what? It looks easiest to just take a sharp scalpel and split it into the 16 wires... anything else looks like a bitch to try.