Kent Displays on sale!

Off topic discussions that do not fit into any of the above can go here. Please keep it clean and respectful.
otitov
XCore Addict

Kent Displays on sale!

Post by otitov »

I am going mad - Kent Displays available for purchase from SparkFun!!!

http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/produc ... ts_id=9559

Wonderful reflective cholesteric liquid crystal display (ChLCD, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ChLCD) , direct competitor to e-Ink!

Even at Google they experiment with ChLCD displays in their Radish device (http://hackaday.com/2009/04/17/radish-e ... -calendar/)!

Available in 2 screen sizes, chose which one suits your needs best.

I want to buy some of them, but do not understand which connector could be used to hook them on? any help, please?

ChLCD + XMOS must be <3

shawn
XCore Addict

Post by shawn »

Sweet candy!
Kent would be the frosting for any XCore prodject.
A bit pricey perhaps, but I can see a nice big Kent
frosting a board full of Xmos chips, would be pricey
too. Never the less, no contempory computer could
touch its potential. I think you may be able to drive it
like the old Tectronic displays whose screens were
also memory like. I'll check see, how this connects.
johanar

Post by johanar »

Those look pretty nice, but as Shawn said a little expensive for some projects. Hadn't heard about the technology actually.

Was just about to suggest you come up with an idea using these displays for the entrepreneur contest, but I saw that you already did :)

I had a quick glance at the display's datasheet and it has pretty straightforward serial connection, so it looks really easy to attach it to an XMOS or other microcontroller.
jonathan
Respected Member

Post by jonathan »

These look very cool.
otitov
XCore Addict

Post by otitov »

@shawn: thanks!

@johanar: I am just a huge fan of low energy displays, today we have only 2 options - e-ink and ChLCD.

@jonathan: take a look at datasheet - there are some photos, take a look at video at Google's site, take into account - they look great on direct sunlight.

There is no way to get hands on e-ink displays, other than destroy any ebook reader (at least 200USD), ChLCD products is about to hit the market, so no way get these displays. SparkFun was talking to e-Ink manufactures to get small run of e-ink displays to offer, but no result (http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/news.php?id=331).

The price set for ChLCD displays on sale at SparkFun reflects "exclusive distributor price for hot cakes", contact Kent Displays directly for a big run pricing.

Anyway I will be happy to have in my hands ChLCD display - I am so hi-tec addicted.

The protocol is a SPI based, easy to implement, the problem I have is a physical connection to display - which connector to use? I do not know. Probably SparkFun will offer a kit in a few days, but I can not wait.
jonathan
Respected Member

Post by jonathan »

Oleg - did you buy any of these?

I'm interested in working with them too so if you get anywhere let me know. I think I'm going to pick one up.
otitov
XCore Addict

Post by otitov »

Jonathan - I have no idea how to wire these displays, so I am waiting for more info.
jonathan
Respected Member

Post by jonathan »

otitov wrote:Jonathan - I have no idea how to wire these displays, so I am waiting for more info.
Ok, I'm buying one anyway and will try to get it working.
otitov
XCore Addict

Post by otitov »

great! waiting for your comments here!
jonathan
Respected Member

Post by jonathan »

otitov wrote:great! waiting for your comments here!
It's on the way. I only hope I have enough other stash that I'll need to wire it up.