IBM to IEEE floating point?

Off topic discussions that do not fit into any of the above can go here. Please keep it clean and respectful.
bsmithyman
Experienced Member

IBM to IEEE floating point?

Post by bsmithyman »

Hi All,

I have a SEG-Y I/O library that I wrote in Python to do some data processing, but it fails on SEG-Y files that use IBM floating point instead of IEEE. Python's struct.unpack and struct.pack don't support IBM floating point, and I'd rather stay pure Python for simplicity and cross-platform reasons.
SEG-Y on Wikipedia, Another reference

Does anyone have experience with bitwise arithmetic in Python, and particularly how to do this conversion?

Many thanks!

Edit: Still interested in a solution, but I found a way to work around the problem (by converting to a different format outside Python). Thanks for reading.

lilltroll
XCore Expert

Post by lilltroll »

IBM exponents are written to the power of 16 instead of 2 as in binary IEEE !?

Check out the examples
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IBM_Floati ... chitecture
vs.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Single_pre ... int_format

Or double if that's your case.

Python - no idea
Probably not the most confused programmer anymore on the XCORE forum.
bsmithyman
Experienced Member

Post by bsmithyman »

Yeah, it turned out that Seismic Unix files were really easy to read (a great package if you're looking for free/OS seismic processing tools). Essentially they're the traces from the SEG-Y standard, minus EBCIDIC and binary headers, and pre-converted to nice standardized IEEE floating point. It took about 5 lines of code to adapt my program to be able to read that, so I just sidestepped the whole issue.

The strange thing is that small IBM floating point values, interpreted as IEEE, still *look* a lot like the right values, just off by an order of magnitude or so...