Hello from Sweden! (interested in robotics, computer vision)

First time on the site? Say hello here!
johanar

Hello from Sweden! (interested in robotics, computer vision)

Post by johanar »

Hey everybody.

Let's start with the personal stuff.. I'm a student at Chalmers University in Gothenburg, Sweden. Currently taking a bachelor's in computer science, but I've previously studied electrotechnology (3 years) and entertainment design and technology (masters). This semester I'm working on my bachelor's thesis, design and construction of a laser guided AGV, and taking classes in programming languages and advanced digital technology / vhdl design.

In my spare time I'm trying to get started with robotics but I'm a little short on cash as expected, so I'm going to start with a simple wheeled Arduino based thingy. I'd love to experiment with computer vision and hearing, but the digital cameras that are easy to interface with the somewhat limited Arduino are too expensive. Instead I'm planning on saving up to a ultrasound sensor so I can stick that and an IR sensor on some servos to get some limited perception of the robot's surroundings.

The raw processing power and low power consumption of the XMOS looks promising and it would be fun to try out. Maybe I'd try to design some kind of robot platform with A/D, D/A and some motor drivers if I had one. Currently I'm just looking into what other's are doing, to see if it's worth saving for :)

Cheers!

TonyD
XCore Addict

Post by TonyD »

Hi Johan

Welcome aboard.

Robotic ideas and projects feature a lot in what people are wanting to use Xmos for. There was a competition on letsmakerobots.com recently and a CNC laser engraver in the projects directory.

Check out the project pages and special interest groups for what people have been doing.
johanar

Post by johanar »

Thanks Tony!

The competition at letsmakerobots was actually the reason I found out about XMOS, but unfortunately I was too late to enter (and I'm not sure I have enough time the next months to finish the awesome project I'd come up with :))

I didn't find any robot related groups so I took the liberty of creating one.
jason
XCore Expert

Post by jason »

johanar wrote:Thanks Tony!

The competition at letsmakerobots was actually the reason I found out about XMOS, but unfortunately I was too late to enter (and I'm not sure I have enough time the next months to finish the awesome project I'd come up with :))

I didn't find any robot related groups so I took the liberty of creating one.
Ah brilliant, I am glad to see some LMR people here. What was your username over there? I probably spoke to you at some point!

What is your awesome idea? PM me if you dont want to say in public!

Good job on the robotics group, I will be joining this as I find robotics most interesting, although my lack of spare time is against me right now (and remembering any electronics I learnt many years ago)
shawn
XCore Addict

Post by shawn »

Hello johanar,

Ever since they open the book of life (genome prodject), using robots to assemble said experiments.
I realized we are well into 5th generation computing, the robots are hear, its just everone was expecting
hollywood type bot's. I doubt if most people realize were ever so close to the 6th generation The're still waiting for toys and totally in the dark.
johanar

Post by johanar »

@Jason, I have the same username there (johanar) but I'm fairly new there too. But you could have a look at the monstrous AGV we're building if you find my profile there.

@shawn, so you're saying robots will turn evil and overthrow the world before we know it? ;) There are definitely some projects, both in development and in use, that are bordering between fascinating and scary. I'm mostly for the friendly toy kind of robots though.
shawn
XCore Addict

Post by shawn »

@shawn, so you're saying robots will turn evil and overthrow the world before we know it? ;) There are definitely some projects, both in development and in use, that are bordering between fascinating and scary. I'm mostly for the friendly toy kind of robots though.
PANICATTACK the psuedo preview, hit, hit a nerve I think ? I'm was just being rehtorical in reverse . I seen so much classy sci-fi, when I saw that,I thought "that's just what a ROBOT intellegnce might do, go total, once aware of the narfarrious nature of the intellegences controlling it."

The presumtion of narfarrious control is hollywood, but I think the corporal soul of MAN is posing that status.
paul
XCore Addict

Post by paul »

Robot/world AI interactions is an interesting prospect - do you reckon AI could get sophisticated enough to even take part in a forum like this?

An XC-2 (network connectivity) with some AI processing on it could be quite a fun little project to try and see if it could trick forum users for a while?
Paul

On two occasions I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
shawn
XCore Addict

Post by shawn »

Ah, the turing test? Great question. Chemical Rna/Dna, based machines are on there way.
We map out the mitacondria, and the brain in electrical schematics. Through simulia we built
a set of masks that give us insight to our nature. The scale to do electronically, what we do
with our biocomputer brain is of such a scale magnitude, that even if you could simulate human
intelligence the latencys would be all to telling in a direct 1to1 chat. If prompting question's to
stated fourums with large latencies though, I say why not. Nanotechnology is technologically
doable, casting the turing test into the lime light of far most consequential debates. It is going
to rock peoples faith, forcing people to look at the lower levels of there semantic's to find that
original higher archey, via like the first logos, words are the the semantics of comunication. All
particals communicate in language. So my answers is yes, so be nice and don't lie to robots or
they could panic. My basic opinon on robots, currntley is that they are heading in the direction
of special Intellignce, they shall have semantical insights beyond general human intelligence.
This subject has yet to touch on the concept of life vs intelligence, we can go into to that too, if
you want . Life in a nutshell is what I think the Turing test alludes to, but is not a requirement.
Life requires a different test. The Turing test is bound to the console. Who can conptemplate
the thoughts of the minds of the consoles of the lord?
In_Control001
Member++

Post by In_Control001 »

Hey Johanar, Im an AGV builder myself... Cool stuff... What is your experience?

I will post some video's later of our AGV's.