Greetings from East Tennessee, USA

First time on the site? Say hello here!
Mekkatronix
New User

Greetings from East Tennessee, USA

Post by Mekkatronix »

I am NEW to the XCore family, and I mean NEW as in today. I am using the Parallax Propeller, but am really interested in the XCore and plan to purchase a startKIT very soon. In the meantime, can anyone give me good reasons for considering the XCore in my projects instead of the Propeller? I welcome your comments on this. Thank you.

-Mekkatronix

Folknology
XCore Legend

Post by Folknology »

Welcome to XCore Mekkatronix, without knowing the details of your project it is difficult to answer relative benefits vs say a Propeller, However I would personally say one of the key benefits of using the Xmos devices generally is the great extensions to C that XC brings (If you're an assembly geek then maybe this is less of a benefit), I have found XC to make my concurrent development a great deal simpler, I especially enjoy it's event based nature.

I am sure others can trumpet their own personal benefits from using Xmos devices/toolkits

regards
Al
Ross
XCore Expert

Post by Ross »

Welcome :)
Mekkatronix
New User

Post by Mekkatronix »

Folknology wrote:Welcome to XCore Mekkatronix, without knowing the details of your project it is difficult to answer relative benefits vs say a Propeller, However I would personally say one of the key benefits of using the Xmos devices generally is the great extensions to C that XC brings (If you're an assembly geek then maybe this is less of a benefit), I have found XC to make my concurrent development a great deal simpler, I especially enjoy it's event based nature.

I am sure others can trumpet their own personal benefits from using Xmos devices/toolkits

regards
Al
Al, thanks for the welcome! My project in mind is to build a rover, basically a Wild Thumper chassis, with 6 motors/wheels in skid-steer fashion. I plan to incorporate a PING sensor(s) for proximity detection, and use a GPS for rough navigation and "geographic awareness". I want to be able to control the rover both manually with R/C or XBee (preferred), with autonomous option. And I really need to find some sort of small video camera to wirelessly transmit (and also save to SDcard) fairly decent, medium-quality color images in low-light conditions. THe intended target at present is the interior of concrete pipes, culverts, bridge underpasses, etc. for inspection of cracks, holes, etc.

This has been done with the Arduino (http://beatty-robotics.com/all-terrain-gps-robot/) so I KNOW it can be done with the XCore and Propeller. THis is basically what I have in mind at present. Any ideas and suggestions are welcomed!

-George
Mekkatronix
New User

Post by Mekkatronix »

Ross wrote:Welcome :)
Thank you, Ross! I look forward to learning from you and others here.

-George