New to xcore

First time on the site? Say hello here!
wardy

New to xcore

Post by wardy »

Hi everyone,

many moons ago, I had the privilege of programming transputers from Inmos.

While talking to colleagues about how great they were, I ran a few searches, to try and find some old friends... I didn't find any, but I did find xmos.

The result is that I have ditched 6 months of development on a PIC project which wasn't working very well and will be purchasing xmos dev tools very soon.

I have a rather fun project I have been working on, xmos cpu's from what I have read, offer me everything I need and couldn't easily achieve via the pic's.

jonathan
Respected Member

Post by jonathan »

Welcome. Plenty of ex-INMOS people around here... Look forward to hearing more about your work. Must be a breath of fresh air to get back to CSP again. ;-)
Joerg
Member++

Post by Joerg »

wardy,

welcome to XMOS.

There is quite some documentation on the XMOS web site that might be useful for you to get started - http://www.xmos.com/support/documentation.

Let us know how your first steps with XMOS are going.

Joerg
leon_heller
XCore Expert

Post by leon_heller »

I developed transputer systems 24 years ago, based on my own module design, before Inmos developed their TRAMs. Transtech Devices used to sell them.
wardy

Post by wardy »

Thank you Jonathan and Joerg.

Jonathan, good to hear there are plenty of the Inmos staff on board, it would be such a shame for the idea's in the 80's to be lost, Idea's which I still believe to be better than modern day cpu's... Makes you wonder what Inmos would be producing now, had they been able to continue...

Joerg, thank you for the link, it is really useful.

leon_heller, that was marginally before my time.
shawn
XCore Addict

Post by shawn »

Hello Wardy,
If you liked Occam you'll appreciate XC.
Everything from the transputers still applys.
X86 is @ EOL and served its purpose.
INMOS, I mean XMOS is just starting to reach its stride.
No EOL in site for CSP. :D

Shawn
wardy

Post by wardy »

Hi Shawn,

having written pre-emptive threading code for x86, I loathe the darn cpu's - used to think they were awesome!

Pic cpu's were my choice mpu until I discovered xMos. Sure they have a few more features such as ADC/DAC... Not a hardship to add to an xmos project for vastly superior CPU power.