XS1-L4A-64-TQ48 Test board

XCore Project reviews, ideas, videos and proposals.
AtomSoft
XCore Addict

XS1-L4A-64-TQ48 Test board

Post by AtomSoft »

Ok i made a nice design (or so i think) im going to get it made asap and will post more info. But if anyone is interested please comment as i might sell a couple of these pcbs.

2 layer board : 1.64 x 1.07 inches (41.76 x 27.25 mm)

Its just a basic breakout with 20mhz osc, 4Mbit flash, APX803 (supervisory reset), 1.5A Buck for 1v power.

Tons of decoupling caps close to pins and J-TAG Only xSYS connection on edge.

Any advice before i order these?
Attachments
sch.png
(35.89 KiB) Not downloaded yet
sch.png
(35.89 KiB) Not downloaded yet
bottom.png
(77.97 KiB) Not downloaded yet
bottom.png
(77.97 KiB) Not downloaded yet
top.png
(86.64 KiB) Not downloaded yet
top.png
(86.64 KiB) Not downloaded yet

segher
XCore Expert

Post by segher »

I think you forgot to put a pullup on RST. It's a good idea
to have one on MODES as well btw.
Folknology
XCore Legend

Post by Folknology »

Couple of things:

1) Does the Oscillator need a pullup on the OE pin
2) A pull up on the CS pin is also a good idea
3) If you want xscope support you might want to route a 2 wire link to JP3

Regards
Al
AtomSoft
XCore Addict

Post by AtomSoft »

Ok added:

1) CS Pullup
2) MODES Pullup
3) Reset Pullup

Thanks for the tips...

@Folknology as for the XSCOPE stuff.. i never used it before... and thought it was 4 wires?

The XLB(1)OUT, XLB(0)OUT,XLB(1)IN, XLB(0)IN

Unless you meant 2 pairs?

That would over complicated the PCB and would have to make it either 4 layer or larger... which would increase price.
AtomSoft
XCore Addict

Post by AtomSoft »

new sch...

If i get these made in the US the cost would be $16 - $22 for a complete PCB soldered and tested...

Which is a good price range. Ill wait a day or 2 before ordering the boards as i go over the schematic more and board to ensure quality.
Attachments
sch.png
(37.55 KiB) Not downloaded yet
sch.png
(37.55 KiB) Not downloaded yet
sethu_jangala
XCore Expert

Post by sethu_jangala »

AtomSoft wrote: The XLB(1)OUT, XLB(0)OUT,XLB(1)IN, XLB(0)IN

Unless you meant 2 pairs?
xSCOPE uses xCONNECT Links. The four wires which you mentioned correspond to 2 bit links of xSCOPE (2 input and 2 output). This should reflect in the XN file. You can find more details about Links from the following document:
https://www.xmos.com/en/download/public ... 99B%29.pdf

xSCOPE is used mainly for debugging during development. More information on xSCOPE is available in the xTIMEcomposer user guide.
AtomSoft
XCore Addict

Post by AtomSoft »

heh so i was right... (i just skimmed) Or do you mean i only need 2 wires for the master side ? Im not going to lie, im lost on this link stuff... can you just give me a example? Like

XLB0OUT to pin 10 of xSYS
XLB0IN to pin 14 of xSYS

what do i need to connect and ill tell you if its possible on this PCB at its current state
Attachments
wires.jpg
wires.jpg (20.39 KiB) Viewed 8572 times
wires.jpg
wires.jpg (20.39 KiB) Viewed 8572 times
sethu_jangala
XCore Expert

Post by sethu_jangala »

AtomSoft wrote:heh so i was right... (i just skimmed) Or do you mean i only need 2 wires for the master side ? Im not going to lie, im lost on this link stuff... can you just give me a example? Like

XLB0OUT to pin 10 of xSYS
XLB0IN to pin 14 of xSYS

what do i need to connect and ill tell you if its possible on this PCB at its current state
If you are using a link, You need lines in both directions. 2 lines in each direction for 2 bit links(total 4 wires) and 5 lines in each direction for 5 bit links(total 10 wires). Links are used mainly for communication between two tiles in high speed. In general, you have choice to choose 2-wire or 5-wire based on the speed you need to communicate between. But, xSCOPE uses 2 bit links. So, 2 output lines XLB(1)OUT, XLB(0)OUT, and 2 input lines XLB(1)IN, XLB(0)IN are required.

Sethu.
AtomSoft
XCore Addict

Post by AtomSoft »

That is the answer i was looking for :) Thanks...

Ill see what i can do today.
Folknology
XCore Legend

Post by Folknology »

Yeah sorry 2-wire links need 4 wires, slightly confusing terminology, I should have been more specific. You can see examples in Xmos reference/kit designs with XSYS headers, choose a newer one as some of the old ones had some issues with the XSYS upstream links (Like the original XK1s).

P.S. you can also add a transceiver (adds another par to the BOM) to isolate those the link pins if you wish to use them for general purpose IO or alternatively use an IDC cable (or jumper board) between Xtag and the XSYS header with those lines cut out. Notice the slice kit uses a transceiver solution for those lines along with a switch for xscope.

P.P.S it would be nice if Xtag boards actually had an xscope switch (or soft switch) which performed this function

regards
Al