XS-1 Context Switcher (vThreads)

XCore Project reviews, ideas, videos and proposals.
paul
XCore Addict

XS-1 Context Switcher (vThreads)

Post by paul »

Version: 0.1
License: BSD
Download: https://sourceforge.net/projects/vthreads/

Implementation of virtual threads for the XS-1. Currently a simple context switching implementation for the XMOS XS-1 architecture (Gn, Ln products). Allows a user to run low speed processes on a single thread using time sliced scheduling. Features:
Current:

- Initialise threads

- Context Switch on Timer Interrupt (time slice scheduling)

- Functions to allow atomic operations (ClrInt() & SetInt())
Wish List:

- Call to allocate stack space to vthread

- Event support

- More flexible vthread params (ports, chans, etc)

- On demand context switch (when a thread wants to hand over control to another because it doesn't have anything to do)

Paul

On two occasions I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
shawn
XCore Addict

Post by shawn »

Thanks Paul,

Looks like a nice tool, shows explicitely ,once again , why Xcore diffrentiates itself from all other cores and FPGA's. Xcore lends itself to seamless constructions. I can't comment very deep till I get my hand on a real physical core. Anouther aspect I noted is that the physical Xcore lends itself to easy physical constructions, increasing possible choices for proto, dev, eval, are very feature rich, making my choices tough cause I like the lot of them.

Made my Day, "Great" project!
Shawn