DSD audio over USB

XCore Project reviews, ideas, videos and proposals.
gaboca0527

Post by gaboca0527 »

Hi Altivirus,

I have some idea:

- How did you connect the development kit to the computer? With the XTAG2 board? Did the computer install the XTAG2 board driver well?
- Do not connect to the computer at the same time the Development kit USB and the XTAG2 USB. Maybe it can cause some problem.
- Do not run the XMOS Development SW together with the Command Prompt, maybe the Development SW grab the device.

I hope i could help you!

Gabor

altvirus

Post by altvirus »

HI! Gabor,

Thank you very much for your help

With your help, the development kit is now installed and it is working

very well. Would it be possible to run both DSD and PCM or only

DSD file if DSD firmware is installed?

Thanks again,
Altvirus
gaboca0527

Post by gaboca0527 »

Hi!

I am happy, that I could help to you!
As in Stef's descripton, this firmware plays 176,4kHz 24 bit PCM with a special 8bit header bytes. If the device recognise the 8bit headers the firmware switch to DSD mode and plays the encapsulated (converted DSD) file.
If not recognise the 8bit headers, it runs in normal PCM mode.

Gabor
altvirus

Post by altvirus »

Hi, Gabor

I am running Xmos DSD on Windows operating system, Can you tell me how to set the control panel of Wiindows to operated the DSD?
Thanks again,

Altvirus
gaboca0527

Post by gaboca0527 »

Hi,

I do not understand your question. What do you want to set up in the control panel? If you want to set this sound card to default windows sound device, than In the sound settings, you have to choose the Xmos audio device. But this step is not neccessary.
It is enough to set up in the player software the output device to Xmos audio device.
I recommend to use the Foobar player, and choose the WASAPI Xmos output device in the settings menu. This WASAPI is only in Win7 or in WinVista. WinXP not support this methode.
If you have WinXP, you have to use ASIO supported soundcard. Only the ASIO driver is suitable to play out this special encapsulated file without any processing. DirectSound and Waveout is not suitable, because both makes some processing on PCM stream. :(

Do you have a seperate DSD DA converter or how to want to listen it? Because on the development kit the DA converter is not suitable for DSD to Analog converting. It is just a simple PCM converter.

Gabor
sbc0107

Post by sbc0107 »

I have to update you tell renal
xmos board lights up during playback will turn three. But I do not sound
Questions that
Signals go, there is no sound

Please let me know if you'd like a way to go back to previous firmware
ghmfranken

Post by ghmfranken »

If found this schematic very helpful for properly connecting the XMOS board to the ES9018: http://hifiduino.files.wordpress.com/20 ... ksmart.png. Note that also the DAC inputs must be remapped.
audioengr

Post by audioengr »

Stef - I'm not a S/W engineer, so I need help with my XMOS firmware. Are you considering licensing your code commercially?

I am planning to design another DAC and would like DoP capability in the XMOS USB interface.

Also, are you willing to do some minor tweaks to the XMOS code for XS1-L1 on a contract basis?

Please email me
Steve N.
Empirical Audio
nugent@empiricalaudio.com
ccandeias

Post by ccandeias »

Where is it? Didn't see it. H or L = DSD?
Please let us know your license requirements for commercial use.
Can you provide the same solution on the XMOS multi-channel platform?
Curmudgeon

Post by Curmudgeon »

would like commercial license, please dm me Stef.