HADEDA sequenced synthesiser

XCore Project reviews, ideas, videos and proposals.
dfglv

HADEDA sequenced synthesiser

Post by dfglv »

Version: 1
License: MIT
Download: /files/project_builds/app_hadeda_1v0.zip

The HADEDA is a multicore implementation of a monophonic phase modulation synthesiser with a TB303-style pattern sequencer that runs on the XMOS startKIT. It sounds reasonably close to the two-operator FM synthesis featured in sound chips like the Yamaha OPL2, although it is not an emulation project. It is basic but self-contained and requires no additional hardware.
See and hear it in action here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNmti-G3fPY
There's some documentation and discussion here: http://jamesdibley.wordpress.com/catego ... -projects/
It is also intended to be a usable tutorial for various basic XC development techniques, and a stable basis for experimentation with sequencing and synthesis on the startKIT device.
Version 1.0 is now available.
Current features that have actually been implemented and tested:

PWM audio output on pin D13
reasonably versatile sequencer that can be programmed for variable pattern length, tempo and beat length
preset sequences and synthesiser patches that can be stepped through using the startKIT button
real-time control of synthesis parameters using the startKIT touchplates (working, but rather thumbsucky)
visual metronome on LED D1

Future plans:

Audio slice compatibility
Polyphony
Fancy sequencer / synthesis implementations

It uses (and includes) the audio buffer and PWM server components featured in Fredrik Petrini's XC-1 SID emulation project, recently ported to startKIT by infiniteimprobability. The envelope generator implementation was adapted from Nigel Redmon's excellent tutorial article.
External dependencies: you need module_capacitive_sensing and module_startkit_gpio from sw_startkit_examples. It builds in xTIME Composer 13.
Note: The PWM output is suitable for driving a small loudspeaker or earphones, where the physical properties of the speaker/phones will (hopefully!) filter out most of the PWM carrier. I don't recommend you connect this to a line input without a) adding a suitable hardware filter to smooth out the PWM signal, and b) raising the PWM frequency considerably. (I haven't tested this yet.)
Video:

JLS
Member++

Post by JLS »

Great work !

Many thanks

P.S. tip for new implementation karplus strong
unuldinei

Post by unuldinei »

Ok, I am newbie so ...
Hello , i tried to build your project hadeda in as many ways as possible but errors drown my xtimecomposer 13.02. Can you specify what are the packages to download from github ? Thanks .
dfglv

Post by dfglv »

Hi there. In addition to the hadeda zip file, you'll need to download the sw_startkit_examples package (use the link on the project page). Import the module_capacitative_sensing and module_startkit_gpio modules from this package. As long as these are present in your workspace, you should be able to build the app_hadeda application without any problems.