Status: Under development
The goal of this project to collect kicad resources for xmos dev. platform boards, library, module and sample sch, boards will be provided. In more detail:
- design new prototype boards,
- design factory ready boards,
- reuse (in a new design) another prototype platform cards like altera, xmos slice, xmos xk-1, etc. what we have at home :).
- help each-other in community
- learn and discuss the theoretical and practical questions related to kicad tool and a cheap but industrial grade pcb manufacturing
- gathering the know-how and design consideration
Yes... Actually, I have several xmos boards (XK-1, XP-SKC-L2, Slice boards) already, which were good to develeop some fixtures. These are very helpful at the begining, bug fixing...
Theoretically, there is a turning point, where the prototype systems simplicity insignificant, and product like behaviours becomes more important role. Therefore, iterative design processes would be necessary to achieve the system integration level of a complex product. I hope there can be a smooth transition from hobby projects to more complex prototypes. By the way... I need some individual boards... So, I started to draw some. :) Let me know, If you have any idea...
The basic idea is: to get all the (free) gpio pins from the cpu board in a simply and somehow generalized interface. These connectors must be inter-changeable between cpu boards. There have to be several different kind of break-out panels, which are implements the structural layout too.
Acutally I have some preliminary version of two similar boards for the following chips:
I am still playing with the design, so these are not stable, finished / accepted by me. I just wondering , how would be better....
- decision about connectors mechanical and electrical aspects (FFC cable / pins / board edge? pinout?)
- more footprints (U series have diff pinouts)
Actually, I just wondering if it could be possible to organise the connector pins to group by function (n*1bit, k*4bit, gnd). Because the tqfp and bga packages are totally different in layout. So it makes huge problem on routing of pcb... It means, the boards will be not pin-to-pin compatible, but function-to function compatible.