xCORE-200 how to use cs2100 only

XCore Project reviews, ideas, videos and proposals.
hamtam

xCORE-200 how to use cs2100 only

Post by hamtam »

I am using the XK-AUDIO-216-MC-AB Board and I am wondering how to switch to the Cirrus Logic CS2100 PLL Chip which is also on the board. I am using the "app_usb_aud_xk_216_mc".
Four our own design we want to use the CS2100 IC together with a 24MHz reverence clock and not the a Phase Logic PL611-01.

infiniteimprobability
XCore Legend

Post by infiniteimprobability »

Normally switching on SPDIF_RX does this. But in audio_hw.xc (which is where the user callbacks for setting up hardware are) you can see:

Code: Select all

#if defined(SPDIF_RX) || defined(ADAT_RX)
#define USE_FRACTIONAL_N 1
#endif
Try forcing USE_FRACTIONAL_N to 1. I think this should do it.

You will probably have to enable the PLL ref input pin too in main.xc:

#ifdef SPDIF_RX
on tile[XUD_TILE] : buffered in port:4 p_spdif_rx           = PORT_SPDIF_IN;
#endif
hamtam

Post by hamtam »

Thank you for your help. I tried defining it in the custimdefines.h

/* CONET set define  */
#define USE_FRACTIONAL_N    1
#define SPDIF_TX            1
/* CONET END */
This leads to some failures during flashing.

Description	Resource	Path	Location	Type
'SPDIF_TX' macro redefined	customdefines.h	/app_usb_aud_xk_216_mc/src/core	line 23	C/C++ Problem
Invalid project path: Include path not found (lib_src).	AN00231_ASRC_SPDIF_TO_DAC		pathentry	Path Entry Problem
unused parameter `sampRes_DAC' [-Wunused-parameter]	audiohw.xc	/app_usb_aud_xk_216_mc/src/extensions	line 156	C/C++ Problem
unused parameter `sampRes_ADC' [-Wunused-parameter]	audiohw.xc	/app_usb_aud_xk_216_mc/src/extensions	line 156	C/C++ Problem
unused parameter `c_codec' [-Wunused-parameter]	audiohw.xc	/app_usb_aud_xk_216_mc/src/extensions	line 111	C/C++ Problem
unused parameter `c_codec' [-Wunused-parameter]	audiohw.xc	/app_usb_aud_xk_216_mc/src/extensions	line 155	C/C++ Problem
use of undeclared identifer `PORT_PLL_REF'	audiohw.xc	/app_usb_aud_xk_216_mc/src/extensions	line 98	C/C++ Problem
previous definition is here	app_usb_aud_xk_216_mc		line 14	C/C++ Problem
initializer element is not constant	audiohw.xc	/app_usb_aud_xk_216_mc/src/extensions	line 98	C/C++ Problem
previous definition is here	app_usb_aud_xk_216_mc		line 14	C/C++ Problem
Invalid project path: Include path not found (lib_usb/src/lowlevel).	AN00182_hid_extended_explorer		pathentry	Path Entry Problem
Invalid project path: Include path not found (lib_spdif/src).	AN00231_ASRC_SPDIF_TO_DAC		pathentry	Path Entry Problem
Invalid project path: Include path not found (lib_src/src).	AN00231_ASRC_SPDIF_TO_DAC		pathentry	Path Entry Problem
Invalid project path: Include path not found (lib_src/src/FilterData).	AN00231_ASRC_SPDIF_TO_DAC		pathentry	Path Entry Problem
Invalid project path: Include path not found (lib_src/api).	AN00231_ASRC_SPDIF_TO_DAC		pathentry	Path Entry Problem
Invalid project path: Include path not found (lib_spdif).	AN00231_ASRC_SPDIF_TO_DAC		pathentry	Path Entry Problem
Invalid project path: Include path not found (lib_spdif/api).	AN00231_ASRC_SPDIF_TO_DAC		pathentry	Path Entry Problem
*** Missing build modules. Cannot continue.  Stop.	AN00231_ASRC_SPDIF_TO_DAC		line 646, external location: /home/mthomas/daten/Dokumente/xmos/xTIMEcomposer/Community_14.3.0/build/xcommon/module_xcommon/build/Makefile.common1	C/C++ Problem
Invalid project path: Include path not found (lib_usb/src/endpoint0).	AN00182_hid_extended_explorer		pathentry	Path Entry Problem
Invalid project path: Include path not found (lib_usb/src/experimental).	AN00182_hid_extended_explorer		pathentry	Path Entry Problem
Invalid project path: Include path not found (lib_usb/api).	AN00182_hid_extended_explorer		pathentry	Path Entry Problem
Invalid project path: Include path not found (lib_usb/src/experimental/endpoint0).	AN00182_hid_extended_explorer		pathentry	Path Entry Problem
Invalid project path: Include path not found (lib_usb).	AN00182_hid_extended_explorer		pathentry	Path Entry Problem
Invalid project path: Include path not found (lib_usb/xudlib).	AN00182_hid_extended_explorer		pathentry	Path Entry Problem
Invalid project path: Include path not found (lib_usb/src/experimental/dfu).	AN00182_hid_extended_explorer		pathentry	Path Entry Problem
Invalid project path: Include path not found (lib_usb/src).	AN00182_hid_extended_explorer		pathentry	Path Entry Problem
Invalid project path: Include path not found (lib_usb/xudlib/glx_support).	AN00182_hid_extended_explorer		pathentry	Path Entry Problem
Invalid project path: Include path not found (lib_usb/xudlib/included).	AN00182_hid_extended_explorer		pathentry	Path Entry Problem
*** Missing build modules. Cannot continue.  Stop.	AN00182_hid_extended_explorer		line 646, external location: /home/mthomas/daten/Dokumente/xmos/xTIMEcomposer/Community_14.3.0/build/xcommon/module_xcommon/build/Makefile.common1	C/C++ Problem
infiniteimprobability
XCore Legend

USE_FRACTIONAL_N is not a global define and isn't checked for in audio_hw.xc before being set so customdefines isn't the right place to set it. What I meant was change it locally in audio_hw.xc:

//#if defined(SPDIF_RX) || defined(ADAT_RX)
#define USE_FRACTIONAL_N 1
//#endif
You may want to tidy this up and add a "FORCE_USE_CS2100" define or something to be tidier, but the above works (I just tested it).

Not sure about your build errors/warnings. Looks unrelated. Maybe try build clean.
hamtam

Post by hamtam »

OK I set the Variable in the makefile. That should set the variable globally. I think I also tried your approach. Currently I check if the CS2100 is setup right via I2C maybe here is a problem.

# Audio Class 2, Input (8), Output (8), No MIDI, No SPDIF i/o, No ADAT i/o, TDM mode
XCC_FLAGS_2i8o8xxxxx_tdm8  = $(BUILD_FLAGS) -DI2S_CHANS_DAC=8 -DI2S_CHANS_ADC=8 -DNUM_USB_CHAN_OUT=8 -DNUM_USB_CHAN_IN=8 \
								-DMIDI=0 -DSPDIF_TX=1 -DUSE_FRACTIONAL_N0=1 -DSPDIF_RX=0 -DADAT_TX=0 -DADAT_RX=0 -DDSD_CHANS_DAC=0 \
								-DI2S_MODE_TDM=1 -DMAX_FREQ=96000 
hamtam

Post by hamtam »

I tried your approach just. The logic Level of U12 Pin5 which is PLL_SELECT remains on 0. But if the CS2100 is the clock source it should be 1 (3,3V) to switch the CLK_OUT signal to the Analog Converter chips. I also can only see the clock signal from the PL611 but no signal from the cirrus logic chip.
infiniteimprobability
XCore Legend

HI, I'm not sure what to suggest other than try a fresh version of the ref design and just literally make the change to audiohw.xc that I suggested above.

I have done that and get:

1KHz ref signal on U10 pin 5
22.5792MHz or 24.576MHz on U10 pin 3 (depending on sr selected)
High on U12 pin 6 (PLL select)
U10's clock coming out on U12 pin 4

Which is what you want?
Screen Shot 2017-07-10 at 10.36.45.png
(63.12 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Screen Shot 2017-07-10 at 10.36.45.png
(63.12 KiB) Not downloaded yet
hamtam

Post by hamtam »

I had to wipe my eclipse settings in the .xmos folder delete my workspace together with the metadata and reimported the demo Software again. After that I managed to compile it as you suggested. The Cirrus Chip is usd now.
I set in "-DUSE_FRACTIONAL_N0=1" in the make file which worked properly.
Now I have to adapt the Software for our own sound card which has the CS2100 chip. If I just flash the software for the dev board, the CS2100 is not working.
Thank you very much for you help I probably will come up with more questions.