Ethernet Slice Card project

XCore Project reviews, ideas, videos and proposals.
GerrySmith

Ethernet Slice Card project

Post by GerrySmith »

Hi,

I'm starting my Ethernet Slice Card project soon. Need your better idea regarding my project.

Can I use this xCore Multicore Microcontroller - XCore XS1 Microcontroller IC 32-Bit 16-Core 1000MIPS 128KB (32K x 32) SRAM 124-QFN DualRow (10x10) for my Ethernet Slice Card project?

Many thanks in advance.

mon2
XCore Legend

Post by mon2 »

Short answer...yes.

Long answer (you knew this was coming)...

1) The Ethernet slice board was designed originally for the XS1 SliceKit which is based on the same CPU as you have posted:

XS1-L16A-128-QF124

https://www.xmos.com/support/boards?product=15825

2) If you are designing a new product, why not consider to use the more current XCORE-200 series of CPU? You could shadow the new slicekit based on the XS2 CPU. The newer devices offer enhanced features over the XS1 line of CPU.

https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/ ... ND/6637760

Regardless, review the schematics for both CPU kits, select a PCIe connector that is claimed to be compatible with the Ethernet slice board (ie. Square or Circle or Triangle or whatever). Then review the wiring to the selected expansion slot and use the same for your project. This approach is highly recommended to maintain your sanity. This way, you should be able to quickly power up -> use existing Ethernet IP on your custom board.

Before taking the plunge on the custom PCB, consider to post the relevant parts of your schematic for a review. Both devices require power supply sequencing; proper power supply current support; JTAG (XTAG) interconnect to program the device.
GerrySmith

Post by GerrySmith »

Thanks for your responding and giving me a better idea in details.

Yes, I'm designing the new product. Let you know my update.