Microchip KSZ9477 AVB Switch IC

XCore Project reviews, ideas, videos and proposals.
lorenzochiesi
Member++

Microchip KSZ9477 AVB Switch IC

Postby lorenzochiesi » Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:50 am

Hi All,

For a future project I'm evaluating the Microchip KSZ9477 AVB Enabled switch.
The intention is to connect directly to XE216 device to create daisy chainable gigabit ethernet AVB nodes.

I'm doing test unsing official products evaluation boards with the following setup:
xC200 AUDIO MC2 <------> EVB-KSZ9477 <-----> MacBookPro

Unfortunatley this will not work out of the box: MacBook can't see the AVB node. (Of course if I connect directly XMOS and MacBook work perfectly)
I tried to tweak parameter of EVB-KSZ9477 but my undertanding is that out of the box firmware should setup the switch with AVB features enabled.

Anyone have success story with this Microchip switch IC.

Any suggestion about other AVB switch IC knowed to work fine with low firmware effort?

Many thanks
Lorenzo
mon2
XCore Legend

Postby mon2 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:44 am

Hmm. That is odd. I would have expected the evaluation board to just work transparently. Are your patch cables of cat7 quality and fully loaded? Does each patch cable work if only the Xmos audio board and the macbook? I would contact Microchip technical staff for an explanation on why the evaluation board is not working as expected. Please post your results.
lorenzochiesi
Member++

Postby lorenzochiesi » Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:55 am

Mee too :-(...yes, I'm using short cat5e patch cables but I tested it replacing switch with a simple ethernet joint and everiting work fine. Thecnically the switch work fine and transparently to connect other devices not requiring AVB support.
Do you have experience with that switch IC?
L.
mon2
XCore Legend

Postby mon2 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:49 am

No, have not used this part but reviewing others for pending 10/100mbps designs. Try to review with Wireshark to see why it is failing. But not sure if Wireshark runs on Mac or not. Still do consider to contact Microchip online tech support for assistance.

Also review this thread...

viewtopic.php?t=4261

akp
XCore Addict

Postby akp » Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:33 pm

I am also interested in this application with that EVB, but haven't investigated yet. First thing I would do is run the xC200 AUDIO MC2 in the debugger and watch the xSCOPE messages. What is different when you have the MC audio board direct connected to the Mac vs thru the switch? Perhaps the EVB is not running gPTP (i.e. you don't see sync lock) or the switch isn't running the AVB routing stuff properly. Also set DEBUG_PRINT_AS_CAPABLE to 1 to show the PTP neighbour delay (average pdelay) -- it's supposed to be < 800ns, if not then there's something wrong with the timestamping on the rerouted packets. I tried the NXP TSN switch LS1021A Time-Sensitive Network (TSN) Board and it didn't have the right software running on it to get AVB.

You might want to check the latest EVB-KSZ9477 on github in case your software is old. Really hoping you have some success!