Windows - No Disk Error when Building/Writing .C files

Technical questions regarding the XTC tools and programming with XMOS.
CaptainObvious

Windows - No Disk Error when Building/Writing .C files

Post by CaptainObvious »

Everytime I build a project that has .C files, I get a Windows - No Disk error.... I have to click cancel 6 times for each .C file. (haha, I hope the 6 clicks helps) So for example, I'm trying to get this SPI LCD to work, and I'm using alot of Trial and Error.. well, that's alot of clicking!

Here's the error exactly:

Things I've noticed:

I do *NOT* get this error when I'm building .XC or .XE files.

This has been happening since before the tools for the XK1 board came out, (I think 9.7.something was the first time I used XMOS environment) I figured that when I updated, the problem would go away.. not so much! :/

I do *NOT* have any problems when doing a Run As -> XCore Application but only if I've first run the Build.

I *DO* have the same problem when Writing to Flash memory, same exact error. But it does finish saying:
SPI flash programming completed successfully.
Building flash images...

But it gets stuck there, the last thing that's printed is "building flash images...", then I need to unplug the board, and plug it back in (for a reset, I'm guessing?), only after the reset, the program starts running.
(this is not the case when running as a XCore Application, it starts instantly after it gets done building)

I'm running XP SP2.. using the XK-1 board. (I get the same problem when trying to build other projects on other boards) Uh, what else.. I think that's it! If there's any more information you need to help figure this out, or some ideas on where I can go for information, would be much appreciated!

Also:
I use Virtual Drives, so I figured this was a culprit.. but after disabling them, error still occurred.. even after uninstalling them completely with a reset and all, still getting the problem.

I can still get the board to work fine! (but it's a pain in the ass doing it!:D)

paul
XCore Addict

Post by paul »

Sorry you are experiencing this! We have seen this issue internally and I have referred it to our tools team. We will let you know how it progresses...
Paul

On two occasions I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
paul
XCore Addict

Post by paul »

Ok this is an odd question, but do you have a removable drive (eg SD/CF card reader or a 'ejected' USB stick) attached that contains no card? If so do a "safely remove device" to unmount it and the problem should go away. Also, could you report what drive letters these are?

Thanks!
Paul

On two occasions I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
CaptainObvious

Post by CaptainObvious »

Hey Paul, thanks for the heads up! Good to know it's not just me.. :D

:lol:
Yes actually... I have an E-machines that came with a Crappy (but much needed, lol) "Digital Media Manager", sd card/mmc/sm/usb port blah blah.. however, Safely Remove Hardware doesn't appear, even when I plug in my flash drive.

This is where I plug my Xmos into because it's the easiest USB to access, being on the front, curious to see if that's the issue. But.. guess that wouldn't really make a huge difference.. because I get the error when I build, even acting as a simulator.

I don't mind changing the ports to get it to work.. would be much relief for trying to debug problems, I've had to put some projects on hold until I fix this.. can't handle clicking 18 times just for a single change.. gets repetitive real quick!
I haven't tried changing the drives in the device manager yet.. but guess that's my next step. :)
Here's the drives:
C: = .. well, my harddrive!
D: = Windows Crap
E: = CD/RW
F: = REMOVABLE DISK
G: = REMOVABLE DISK
H: = REMOVABLE DISK
I: = REMOVABLE DISK
J: = (FLASH DRIVES) but only when plugged in.
paul
XCore Addict

Post by paul »

We are pretty sure that it is related to the f: drive. If you can remove that drive then it should work fine... I have also found that a reboot solves the issue as well, which is odd...
Paul

CaptainObvious

Post by CaptainObvious »

I've tried Rebooting many many times.. so I can tell you with 100% certainty, that alone hasn't fixed or done anything noticeable. (other than take way too long.. haha computer loads slow when it reboots:))

BUT, removing F: like suggested does fix the problem! (well, now there's another problem) I had to disable the drive, as I couldn't find where to change the letter of the drive. Go figure though, out of all of the drives available.. F: (where my SD card goes) is the only one I actually use on it.. why couldn't it have been like G or something?:)

I tried searching on how to change the letter drive.. and I always get the same solution.. but the drives don't show up. It's under Administrative Tools and Computer Management, then goto Disk Management. I'm only getting the actual hard drive, C: and D:, no CD-rom.

I guess it's not too bad enabling and re-enabling it when I need it, considering I only use my SD card once every few days.. and XMOS is more of a daily routine!

Kind of a hassle just to make sure it doesn't annoy the shit out of you.. I'm curious to see if the next update for tools fixes it.. or if it's a more in-depth Software Issue that would require a bit more re-coding.

Thanks for the suggestion! Now, to remove the un-needed drives and hopefully set my SD-card to a new drive letter! :) Well time for a quick shower, store for some munchies, then some debugging!:D
paul
XCore Addict

Post by paul »

Glad that fixed it. Hopefully it will be fixed in the new tools release. Watch this space...
Paul