Debugging assembly files

Technical questions regarding the XTC tools and programming with XMOS.
JohnR
Experienced Member

Debugging assembly files

Post by JohnR »

Hi,

It seems that breakpoints in .s files are ignored.

I can set a breakpoint in the C code at the point that calls a function written in assembler. The debugger will then let me single step through the assembly code, but this gets pretty tedious when I want really only to look at a later section of a large function.

I asked about this a year or so ago and I think then I was told that being able to set breakpoints in assembler code was not possible then but that it would be in a later release.

Am I doing something wrong or is it that setpoints in assembler code are indeed still ignored?

John.

richard
Respected Member

Post by richard »

The toolchain still doesn't support generating debugging information for assembly files, sorry.

I think this was the old thread you were referring too:

http://www.xmoslinkers.org/forum/viewto ... ?f=6&t=410

Matt's advice should still apply.
JohnR
Experienced Member

Post by JohnR »

Thanks for the response, Richard.

Is there any chance that a future IDE release will support break points in assembly code? It really gets tedious having to break in the C call and then single stepping all the way to the wanted line in the assembler.

In the meantime, I guess I will have to use the command line compiler and xgdb?

John.
leon_heller
XCore Expert

Post by leon_heller »

I think that I was told to use XGDB when I raised the issue a long time ago, or was it the command line simulator?

Leon
XMatt
XCore Addict

Post by XMatt »

Debug information will be available for assembly files in the next tools release, have seen it working :mrgreen: