xTIMEcomposer does not start

Technical questions regarding the XTC tools and programming with XMOS.
matrix

xTIMEcomposer does not start

Post by matrix »

Hi,

I have installed JRE 32-bit and then xTIMEcomposer on a Win 7 64-bit machine.

xTIMEcomposer quits with: No virtual machine was found after searching the following locations: c:\Program Files\(x86)XMOS\xTIMEcomposer\12.2.0\xtimecomposer_bin/jre\bin\javaw.exe in your
current path.

Thanks for any hints.

lokesh327
Member++

Post by lokesh327 »

I think you have to install java virtual machine also with Xtime composer studio.
JohnRobert

Post by JohnRobert »

G'day,

So, basically what's happening (as far as I can tell is), xTimeComposer is looking for java, because it needs java to run. However, it's looking for Java in the wrong location.

Rather than looking in:

C:\Program Files\(x86)XMOS\xTIMEcomposer\12.2.0\xtimecomposer_bin\jre\bin\

It should be looking here:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre7\bin

(Or C:\Program Files\Java\jre7\bin\ for 64-bit java installations)

So, that's the location (or should be) of javaw.exe. So you'd want to change the value

C:\Program Files\(x86)XMOS\xTIMEcomposer\12.2.0\xtimecomposer_bin\jre\bin\javaw.exe

to

C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre7\bin\javaw.exe

So, where is current java location stored? That's for you to find out. What I'd suggest doing is tracing the startup procedure. So if you start xtimecomposer from an icon, right click on it, go to properties, see where it goes from there. For me, it leads to a .bat script, check to see if there are any java paths in there. Follow the chain down till you get to xtimecomposer.exe. It may be worth checking in xtimecomposer.ini, which is located in:

C:\Program Files (x86)\XMOS\xTIMEcomposer\12.0.0beta1\xtimecomposer_bin

See if it's got the java path in it.

If all else fails, check in your enviromental variables. Just google setting up java enviromental variables, or something like that, and then follow the procedure. Although this is a real posibility, I doubt that this is the case.

Happy hunting!
matrix

Post by matrix »

Hi John,

Thanks your detailed explanations, it has turned out that the java environment variable was not
set in PATH.
rhowen

Post by rhowen »

Got the warning about not finding Java.
Before mucking about (especially on Windows 7, etc.) make sure that the environment settings are OK. My system had a PATH variable in the "User variables for ..." window that was overriding the System Variables PATH and hiding all the goodies in there.

Delete the user variables path (make sure there is an equivalent search path in the system variables PATH), and everything started as expected.

Always nicer to solve something by deleting a line than adding a line!