v13 Tools Build Problem

Technical questions regarding the XTC tools and programming with XMOS.
Redeye
XCore Addict

v13 Tools Build Problem

Post by Redeye »

Apologies in advance if this is something dumb, but I'm trying to move a project from v12.2 to v13 beta tools and not having a lot of luck. The app_simple_avb_demo seems to compile fine, but when I try to compile my (very similar) project which worked fine in v12.2 I get :

Code: Select all

ERROR: Unable to open output file '../.build_Debug/m_avb_1722/src/avb_1722_common.c.o' for writing elf
It seems that the build sub-directories aren't getting created. If I create them manually, then it works. But there's a lot of them, and it's a pain, and I then can't do a clean build without going through the whole process again.

Then I've got some other errors to sort out that I've not got round to fixing, mostly because the tools keep crashing with :

An error has occurred. See error log for more details.
java.lang.NullPointerException
when I'm moving files around or renaming them.

So, it looks like I'm sticking with v12.2 at the moment, which is a shame because I was hoping to use the new xScope features.

Is there any cure for the above problems, or a tried and tested method for upgrading a v12.2 project to v13?

stephencwelch
Member++

Post by stephencwelch »

I've been running v13 on ubuntu for a couple days now with no major issues *fingers crossed.
Redeye
XCore Addict

Post by Redeye »

Okay, I've still got this problem. Sub-directories aren't getting created in the build folder so I get a message like :

ERROR: Unable to open output file '../.build_Debug/m_avb_1722/src/avb_1722_common.c.o' for writing elf
If I create the folder manually it works fine. But I'm using quite a few modules with a lot of sub-directories and it's going to take forever to do them by hand.

Has anyone got any ideas? I'm using OSX if that's significant. The demo apps in the various projects seem to compile fine, but this project I've imported from a v12.2 workspace just won't compile.
sethu_jangala
XCore Expert

Post by sethu_jangala »

Hi,

Could you please give some more information on how to reproduce this issue? If possible, could you upload the source code in which you are facing the issue?

Sethu.
Redeye
XCore Addict

Post by Redeye »

I've eventually managed to solve the problem. After a lot of trial and error it looks like it was to do with a file moving to a different folder in the AVB projects but the error message I got was pretty misleading.

However, it turns out my efforts to get my code running on the v13 beta tools were completely wasted seeing as Xscope doesn't work on multi-core systems any more. It was broken in v12.2, but in v13 even the workaround doesn't work any more. Matt is aware of this - I've supplied code which 100% reproduces the problem and last I heard from him he was working on it.
pasau
Experienced Member

Post by pasau »

i am having the same problem with the versions 12 and 13. Whenever i change the target to one which is not already within the AVB ref app, i would be expecting compiling errors but instead can't generate output files; the directories with .c.o files aren't created and i get

ERROR: Unable to open output file '../.build/src/simple_demo_controller.c.o' for writing elf
Redeye could you be more specific about how you corrected the problem? or does anyone have some troubleshoot?

THankS!
pasau
Experienced Member

Post by pasau »

ok i found the problem; i forgot to make a module_ethernet_board_support configuration file for my target; however i still don't understand why i got a linker error and not a compiler error