Stage 2 Loader Stack Size Failed

Technical questions regarding the XTC tools and programming with XMOS.
bearcat
Respected Member

Post by bearcat »

Wow, this is getting more and more complicated and frustrating. Here's some new information:

1 - Taking out the oscillator and frequencies from the XN, causes XFLASH to get verify errors. For some reason XFLASH can erase the chip, or can't access it (showing 255's), and cannot burn it without those frequencies. That doesn't work. Without programming the PLL, it should be around 400MHz and 100Mhz @13MHz, I thought.

2 - The stage 2 loader oversize, is actually caused by my custom boot loader selector being included. But I must have that to boot to factory. Of course, it is close without it still.

3 - My application DOES boot all 10 tiles when programmed as factory and no boot loader selector.

4 - Am trying now to do factory and upgrade image on 10 tiles, to see if that works. XFLASH doesn't complete. Locks up during the process, I assume. This is probably not a big issue.

So, now I have determined it is NOT possible to use a single flash chip and support different hardware. The XN file you use to XFLASH must match the hardware, the factory image, and any upgrade images, or it doesn't boot. Using multiple boot flash chips was a dead end also.

It now appears, I will have to have 2 flash chips on the main board. One having the "factory" dfu loader for the second flash chip. A jumper on board to select the "factory", when needed to upgrade the second chip. Slight modification to the DFU code to program the second chip, maybe as the factory image on it. Figuring out the selects for the chip shouldn't be much, and there is couple I/O's left. One nice thing, is I can write protect the factory chip with hardware. That isn't really such a bad outcome. I need to get a remake on the main board anyways, as the mods are accumalating.

Any more suggestions?