xtimecomposer 13.x.x. Windows-7 64 bit hangs on importing co

Technical questions regarding the XTC tools and programming with XMOS.
sethu_jangala
XCore Expert

xtimecomposer 13.x.x. Windows-7 64 bit hangs on importing co

Post by sethu_jangala »

When installing xtimecomposer 13.x.x. on W7 64bit everything works fine.

Importing an xSoftIP project works and builds.

When I then try to import a community example the github import hangs. When I kill the task the import suddenly seems to succeed (the bar responds) but obviously the xtimecomposer is closed. When trying to restart the IDE after selecting the workspace it just hangs.

NOTE: on Ubuntu 13.10 I don't have these problems. It seems to be a W7 only problem.

I assume this is a security settings problem on the .xmos/repos directory, but how can I resolve this so that I can use community projects on W7?

Read

sethu_jangala
XCore Expert

Post by sethu_jangala »

Can you try the following procedure to see if you are able to do it by these steps:

1. Open xtimecompsoer workspace and click on import --> Git --> Projects from Git and click on Clone button
2. This opens the clone window
3. Enter the URL as : https://github.com/xcore/sw_startkit_examples.git

Follow the instructions on the screen to import the git repo into the workspace. This helps us to narrow down the issue to find out if the issue is with eclipse git plugin or with xtimecomposer. as we are not able to replicate the issue from our end, can you please give a try using the mentioned procedure.

Sethu.
pstnotpd
XCore Addict

Post by pstnotpd »

Hi Sethu,

Tried your procedure.
- I first get a window complaining that a HOME variable is not set.
- Then I copy the URI in the testbox next to the CLONE button and press clone.
- It then opens the Clone GIT repository wizard where I press NEXT.
- It then displays a Select Branch where it gets stuck.

I have to end tasl through task manager where it shows as Not responding.
sethu_jangala
XCore Expert

Post by sethu_jangala »

pstnotpd wrote: I first get a window complaining that a HOME variable is not set.
Can you attach a screen shot of the error you get when you try cloning the community projects into work space?

Sethu.
pstnotpd
XCore Addict

Post by pstnotpd »

sethu wrote:
pstnotpd wrote: I first get a window complaining that a HOME variable is not set.
Can you attach a screen shot of the error you get when you try cloning the community projects into work space?

Sethu.
The error message says
The environment variable HOME is not set. The following directory will be used C:\Users\<...>
If this is not correct please set the HOME environment variable and restart Eclipse.
Meanwhile I've done some quick searches. It appears there are known problems with git ssh verification on W7, even if https is used. The dirty workaround is to disable ssh verification altogether.

I tried to do this using the GIT configuration Window->Preferences->Team->Git->Configuration and switch off sslverify by adding an entry http.sslVerify=false, but that dialog hangs as well, i.e. I don't get the screen where I can add this entry.

Having some familiarity with eclipse I presume this value can be manually entered in some configuration file, but I don't know where it is. If you can point me to this file I can try to edit this manually to see if this works.

Meanwhile I don't have much problems myself as my development machine is actually on linux where everything works fine. It just would be nice to have the W7 working as well and I think you'd want this in the FAQ.
sethu_jangala
XCore Expert

Post by sethu_jangala »

These looks like two separate issues. The first one is related to HOME directory being not set. Initially when you try to clone a repository manually, eclipse does not know where to clone the repository. So, it throws a message. You can ignore this. If you want to set the path to the HOME, you can use the following procedure to setup the path:
http://wiki.eclipse.org/EGit/User_Guide ... on_Windows

We are not sure what is causing the other issue as we are not abel to replicate. If you want to change the settings of git, you can modify .gitconfig file. You can see the location of this file by opening Preferences --> Team --> Git --> Configuration(this opens up a window which shows the location information where the file is located).

Sethu.
pstnotpd
XCore Addict

Post by pstnotpd »

sethu wrote:If you want to change the settings of git, you can modify .gitconfig file. You can see the location of this file by opening Preferences --> Team --> Git --> Configuration(this opens up a window which shows the location information where the file is located).
The problem is that I can't open that particular window either. Do you know the default location? I guess it would be somewhere in the user profile?

EDIT: did a quick search for .gitconfig and could only find a very old version in my user directory. It appears not to have been created at all.
sethu_jangala
XCore Expert

Post by sethu_jangala »

pstnotpd wrote:did a quick search for .gitconfig and could only find a very old version in my user directory. It appears not to have been created at all.
From the information in the following link, it looks like eclipse does not create a new file for git settings. Eclipse uses the file which is already available. I don't know much about EGit:
http://wiki.eclipse.org/EGit/User_Guide ... figuration

Can you try editing this file and see if this solves your issue.

Sethu.
pstnotpd
XCore Addict

Post by pstnotpd »

sethu wrote:Can you try editing this file and see if this solves your issue.
I've removed the one file I found (which was indeed a very old config not related to xTimeComposer) but still the same problem.

Maybe it's unrelated but I also noticed the clone process seems to have problems with actually creating the .xmos/repos directory itself.