Does anybody have the FTDI firmware from older XMOS boards?

Technical questions regarding the XTC tools and programming with XMOS.
kenmac
Member++

Does anybody have the FTDI firmware from older XMOS boards?

Post by kenmac »

Hi,

I am currently experimenting with using an existing FTDI FT2232H chip on a board with an XS1-U16A to provide JTAG functionality instead of connecting an external XTAG-2. I am aware that the XMOS tools have legacy support for FT2232D devices. I would like to see if configuring a FT2232H with the same firmware settings as the FT2232D devices on the older XMOS boards will allow the XMOS tools to talk to the FT2232H device. There have been various posts on these forums in the past regarding similar issues, but none have been conclusive.

I would really appreciate a copy of the XMOS FTDI firmware so I can program both the FT2232D and FT2232H boards that I have using the FT_Prog utility, and hence prototype this concept.

Regards,
Kenny

segher
XCore Expert

Post by segher »

You can find the code I used for the OpenVizsla "Vita" OV1
boards here.
This config is the same as the XTAG uses if I remember
correctly, just different names. For it to work with the
XMOS tools you probably need to use the original names.
Let me know if you cannot easily find those, I'll look it
up.

The config ROM on a 2232H is different than 2232D though.
And it also has different buffer sizes and oscillator, I don't
know if the XMOS tools can deal with it.
kenmac
Member++

Post by kenmac »

Hi Segher,

The FT2232D and H versions are different like you mentioned. I have a feeling the APIs might be compatible though. If this is the case there is a chance that the FT2232H will work with the XMOS tools given that it has the same USB descriptors as the one used in the XTAG1.

I am not able to find the original names, by which I assume you mean USB descriptor strings and serial numbers etc. Searched quite extensively for the original config, but XMOS do not seem to have published it and it is not on the forums. If you have the original (preferably in .xml format for the FT_Prog utility), it would help.

Regards,

Kenny
segher
XCore Expert

Post by segher »

I plugged in an XTAG, this is what it says:

Code: Select all

0403:6010
XMOS
XTAG 1V0
XM12345678
Good luck,

Segher

p.s. If it won't work with XMOS' tools, you can always use
mine (if you like a command-line workflow, heh); you have
full source code, can change any little detail you want, ideal
when you do things off the beaten path.

p.p.s. Oh, the JTAG should be on the second interface/port;
the first is the UART.
kenmac
Member++

Post by kenmac »

Hi Segher,

The USB enumeration data you provided allowed me to configure a FT2232H as if it were an XTAG1, and the XMOS tools detected it as such. I have had no time yet to prototype the JTAG solution using the FT2232H, so I don't yet know if it will work, but this is a step in the right driection. I will post here when I know more.
p.s. If it won't work with XMOS' tools, you can always use
mine (if you like a command-line workflow, heh); you have
full source code, can change any little detail you want, ideal
when you do things off the beaten path.
I would be interested in seeing you custom tools. Do they have user documentation?
p.p.s. Oh, the JTAG should be on the second interface/port;
the first is the UART.
I have looked at the XMOS XC-5 schematic and the JTAG actually features on the first interface/port on the FTDI device. Are there other variations of this out there?

https://www.xmos.com/support/xkits?subc ... nent=16812

Thanks for your help,

Kenny
segher
XCore Expert

Post by segher »

kenmac wrote:The USB enumeration data you provided allowed me to configure a FT2232H as if it were an XTAG1, and the XMOS tools detected it as such. I have had no time yet to prototype the JTAG solution using the FT2232H, so I don't yet know if it will work, but this is a step in the right driection.
That's progress. Good :-)
I would be interested in seeing you custom tools. Do they have user documentation?
This is the woefully out of date project page.
All commands take a "--help" option. There is also a runxe
command to run XE files. It all explains itself really.
I have looked at the XMOS XC-5 schematic and the JTAG actually features on the first interface/port on the FTDI device.
I misremembered. JTAG is A, UART is B.

Cheers,

Segher