Error: "... changes synchronicity of reference target type"

Technical questions regarding the XTC tools and programming with XMOS.
masche
New User

Error: "... changes synchronicity of reference target type"

Post by masche »

Hi all,

I'm working with an AVB Endpoint Kit board (using the xCORE XS1-L16), Software Version 5.2.1rc1.
In the gptp module is a function named "ptp_output_test_clock", that, as far as I can tell, allows to output a signal generated from the current ptp time.

However, if I try to call the function with an unused pin, I get this error message:

Code: Select all

passing arg 2 of `ptp_output_test_clock' changes synchronicity of reference target type
It occurs wether I'm using a 1bit or 4bit Port. Even an empty function referencing one of these ports, i.e.:

Code: Select all

void toggle_pin(port p_gptp_out)
{

}
produces that error messages.
Unfortunately I'm not able to find any documentation about this. There is only one forum post (https://www.xcore.com/forum/viewtopic.p ... &view=next) referencing this error message.
The author says he was able to solve the problem by defining the port as "unbuffered". Unfortunately this doesn't help me either.

Does anyone have an idea how to solve this issue? And can someone explain what the error message is about?

Best
Marc

richard
Respected Member

Post by richard »

You not the first person to be confused by this message - we'll try to improve it in the next tools release. The error means that you have passed a buffered port to a function expecting an unbuffered port or vice versa. I would check the type of the argument you are passing to ptp_output_test_clock() against the type of the corresponding parameter.
masche
New User

Post by masche »

Hi Richard,

thanks for the quick replay!

That did the trick, I had to declare "port" instead of "out unbuffered port".

Best
Marc