XMOS Command Prompt attempting to phone home

Technical questions regarding the XTC tools and programming with XMOS.
msv
New User

XMOS Command Prompt attempting to phone home

Post by msv »

While using the XMOS Command Prompt from xTimeComposer on Windows with an XTAG2 Adapter I encountered a strange problem.

When trying to view a list of devices with the command "xflash -l" the command would usually take at most 3 seconds to complete. Yet if you have a network cable plugged into the PC but don't have internet access the command will take over a minute to finish. I have discovered that the XMOS tools attempt to phone home when the XTAG2 Adapter is plugged in. After the first attempt it will perform faster. But still not as fast as it would usually.

I would like to prevent this as we have some systems that are connected to an internal network but not to the internet. I haven't been able to find any documentation on this behaviour.

kris
Experienced Member

Post by kris »

Setting the XMOS_CHECK_XTAG_FIRMWARE_ENABLED environment variable to false will disable this mechanism.
Cheers,
Kris.
msv
New User

Post by msv »

Thanks, that worked for xflash commands. But now I'm still having trouble with xburn commands.

While a network cable is plugged into the PC and there is no internet connection I get the following error:

C:\Programme\XMOS\xTIMEcomposer\Community_13.1.0>xburn --target-file
"...FILE.xn" --read --verbose
update.xml: error: no '<' before the end of file

if the network adapter is unplugged or disabled the command will execute correctly.

clearly someting is still trying to phone home.

edit:
The xburn user manual doesn't mention it, but the built in help command will list the argument "--no-version-check". this disables the internet check.
akp
XCore Expert

Post by akp »

Sorry to resurrect and old thread but thanks, I just ran into this issue. I do have an active Internet connection so I don't know why I got that update.xml error. Seems to me that xburn shouldn't do whatever it is doing to generate this error without me explicitly telling it to do it, it's a big pain and I needed a 2 year old thread to get around it.
Imrich

Post by Imrich »

Hi,
use xburn --no-version-check
this will solve your problem :)
akp
XCore Expert

Post by akp »

Obvs, yes. But I shouldn't have to check the forum to find that out!
Imrich

Post by Imrich »

me too :)