Ethernet on an L1

Technical questions regarding the XTC tools and programming with XMOS.
Andy
Respected Member

Ethernet on an L1

Post by Andy »

I was wondering if anyone had attempted to do Ethernet on an L1, if it was possible and how much room was left for an application?

Berni
Respected Member

Post by Berni »

As far as i remember it does fit in to a single core, but you are gonna be tight on the memory as the code occupies quite a lot RAM (always a problem with big apps). Meaby turning optimizations to max could squeeze it together a bit. Just try the simple XC-2 example in a single core and see what you get.
DaveBest
Member++

Post by DaveBest »

Just a reminder: the ethernet code needs max optimization to work properly. There is really no choice to do otherwise. ;)
ashleyb

Post by ashleyb »

So has anyone tried this yet?

I'm working on a device based around 2 L1's which uses a USB interface, but was thinking about separating the L1 doing the USB onto a separate plugin board and making it interchangeable with one that has ethernet, allowing the one device to be either USB or ethernet based depending upon which interface board is plugged in.
boeserbaer

Post by boeserbaer »

I am finalizing a design as soon as I can get back to it. L1-128 looks like it should work, all the required ports from the xc-2 reference design are present and available. Probably a couple weeks before I get one back from fab though.
ashleyb

Post by ashleyb »

I'm not in a rush for ethernet (need to get a USB one working first), but wanted to know I was not wasting my time making them interchangeable.

Hopefully at some stage in the future there will be an L-to-G link bridge which will allow me to re-use these modules with G based devices as well.