PL611-01-N12 Alternative needed quite quickly

Technical questions regarding the XTC tools and programming with XMOS.
mon2
XCore Legend

Post by mon2 »

In a deeper review of this datasheet, it appears there is an asterisk on page 6 of the document:

http://www.mouser.com/ds/2/268/PL611-01-1101889.pdf

which notes a factory p/n will be assigned after programming. This will mean that Microchip will have to program this component to your spec and then you are ready to go. Much like the Silabs PLL which is also factory programmed and supplied on T&R so it works out of the box. However the Silabs parts can be programmed also via an I2C master but is volatile so you will have to configure the Silabs part first and then release reset of the XMOS device to make this all work. If factory programmed, then no such configurations are required but you will have to review which target values are suitable. These settings are OTP.

yes2i2s
Experienced Member

Post by yes2i2s »

Well spotted, so it's literally a case of contacting them with requirements and getting a unique order code. Seems a faf for small orders.

I notice on Mouser the 3 digit code appears to be N12 (from PL611-01-N12MC). How does one work out which frequencies N12 makes? They have nearly 2000 in stock but say nothing about what freq's they are set at?
yes2i2s
Experienced Member

Post by yes2i2s »

Interestingly the XMOS dev board also uses the code N12 so despite their being no explanation on Mouser it must be the same configured device.
mon2
XCore Legend

Post by mon2 »

Agreed on the comments. XMOS documentation should help on which frequencies are being generated by this PLL and more specifically, which registers and values are stored inside this OTP device. No idea also on what the cost is for the service to factory (Microchip) program this PLL. The component cost is quite fair as compared to other PLL parts. If designing a fresh product, consider the Silabs Si5351A.

Perhaps confusing the XMOS audio boards but given that this PLL is hard coded to emit 2 fixed clocks and only the OE is used on the PLL, you could even apply fixed external oscillators. Have seen this style of implementation on XMOS based audio boards from Asia (Alibaba, Aliexpress). Again, best to confirm before moving forward. With this approach, no large volume requirements.

If you do find the fixed clock values applied by this PLL, please post here. Will do the same in some spare time.
yes2i2s
Experienced Member

Post by yes2i2s »

The setup for the XMOS rig is:

In order to accommodate a multitude of clocking options, the low-jitter master
clock is generated locally using a frequency multiplier PLL chip. The chip used is a
Phaselink PL611-01, which is pre-programmed to provide a 24MHz clock from its
CLK0 output, and either 24.576 MHz (FSEL high) or 22.5792MHz (FSEL low) from
its CLK1 output.

From: https://www.xmos.com/download/private/x ... 1.4%29.pdf