xtag hangs ubuntu

Technical questions regarding the XTC tools and programming with XMOS.
woodsb
Experienced Member

xtag hangs ubuntu

Post by woodsb »

Hello,

I've searched through XMOS support pages and the forum but can't find specific reference to the issue I'm having so my apologies if I've missed something.

I'm using Ubuntu 14.04 64-bit with xTimeComposer 14.2.4, debugging code on an xmos mic array platform. After starting a run of the code on the platform my computer will sometimes freeze, with cycling power my only option if I want to continue work.

The system freeze seems to be connected to using print statements in the code. Doesn't matter if it's a printf, or print statement from print.h.

However, just putting a print statement in the code does not always cause the system to freeze. Thus, I'm not sure if it's the print statements or something else. But using print statements does seem to increase the likelihood of a system freeze. The likelihood with print statements is pretty high, with as many runs freezing as not. Thus, I do a lot of debugging via xscope, which is not optimal but doesn't cause the freeze.

The code with prints runs fine on a colleague's Windows 10 machine.

Any help folks could offer would be highly appreciated. (But please don't suggest I go to Windows, real or virtual.)

cheers,
Bill

mon2
XCore Legend

Post by mon2 »

print / printf without xscope is blocking.

You do need to continue to use xscope for this mode of debugging to prevent the observed code blocking and may be leading to the lockups.

https://www.xmos.com/support/tools/docu ... nent=14774

Unable to explain why the Windows box works but if the xscope is a work around on Linux then consider to continue to use this solution.
woodsb
Experienced Member

Post by woodsb »

I will take a closer look at the xscope influence on the freeze, but as you intimate it may not be the issue, given the Windows runs don't freeze and the Ubuntu freeze does not happen every run and I'm not changing xscope settings across runs.