Using pointers to functions

Technical questions regarding the XTC tools and programming with XMOS.
dbensoussan

Using pointers to functions

Post by dbensoussan »

I know it's not possible to use pointers to functions in XC files but it is in C.
How can I use these functions in xc files? Is there a workaround with a special library?

Thanks

robertxmos
XCore Addict

Post by robertxmos »

(from memory)
As function pointers are not valid syntax in XC, all you can do it pass around an opaque handle e.g. an unsafe pointer such as 'void * unsafe'.
The creation and dereferencing will need to happen in a C file, with the C file casting to and from the function pointer and 'void * unsafe'.
I can't think of a reason why you couldn't have a set of shim C functions that do the creation and dereference of 'void * unsafe' functions pointers for you.
Sorry, no special library to do the wrap & casting for you.

The issue with function pointers is that the compiler can no longer calculate stack usage.
This is solved (hidden feature in 14.2) by you giving the compiler a group of possible functions a function pointer could be:

Function declaration:

Code: Select all

__attribute__((fptrgroup("G1")))
void func() {/*implementation*/}  // this is NOT a declaration - we need to know the stack/resource usage!
Function pointer definition:

Code: Select all

__attribute__((fptrgroup("G1")))
void (*fp)(); // we create a variable (we could initialise it to any of the functions in G1 e.g.  '=func').
Thus, the compiler now knows that 'fp' will be any of the functions in group 'G1' and it can work out the worse case resource usage.

The compiler flag 'Wxcore-fptrgroup' will check you haven't missed any.