xTimecomposer 14.3 Problems

Technical questions regarding the XTC tools and programming with XMOS.
dmclean

xTimecomposer 14.3 Problems

Post by dmclean »

Hi,

I've been using 14.2.1 of the xTimecomposer tools with some success, however after upgrading to 14.3 I cannot get the IDE nor the XMOS tools to load code into a device using xrun or xflash.

Several other colleagues are experiencing the same problems. I am running the tools on Windows 10 x64.

Is anyone else experiencing this?

peter
XCore Addict

Post by peter »

Can you give any more details? What error do you get? I presume the 14.2.1 tools still work on your machine?

Also, have you tried the command-line version of the windows tools just to check whether it is an issue with the IDE or at a lower level. Both the IDE and command-line tools use the same tool to do the xflash/xrun.
johned
XCore Addict

Post by johned »

If it helps, I can confirm that xTIMEcomposer runs fine for me in Windows 10 x64.

John
dmclean

Post by dmclean »

If I try loading the code with xrun I get the error message xrun: Binary no correctly downloaded to target device.
D3 is green, D2 is red on the XTAG3
dmclean

Post by dmclean »

Subsequently running xrun-l shows No Available Devices Found. Unplugging and replugging the XTAG3 allows it to be visible using xrun -l again. It then worked several times after that. This pattern of it not working is semi-regular.

So I reopened xTimeComposer and tried to debug the code and get an empty console with no XTAG3 LED activity (I am expect a lot of debug on the console which I see in 14.2.4). I can then not stop the console and have to End Process on xgdb using the Task Manager. Trying to run code again after that point results in xgdb.exe is not responding.

Replugging the XTAG3 to USB gets me back to the same point and I see: ERROR : Cannot collect XScope data from device with the Green D2, Red D3.
pstnotpd
XCore Addict

Post by pstnotpd »

Hi, also having problems with XTAG3 on W10. It intermittently worked before and showed up as XMOS XTAG3 under libUSB-32 devices. To refresh I uninstalled this driver to allow XTAG3 to re-install on plugin but now it appears as a non functioning XMOS XTAG3 under Other devices and d1 d2 d3 glowing in dim red.
I tried to freshly install on another W10 machine without XMOS toolchain but the same happens.

XTAG2 and startkit both work fine
peter
XCore Addict

Post by peter »

Have you tried using USBDeview from NirSoft to find the XTAG in the USB registrations and remove it to ensure you get a clean install when you re-plug? XMOS VID is 20b1.
pstnotpd
XCore Addict

Post by pstnotpd »

peter wrote:Have you tried using USBDeview from NirSoft to find the XTAG in the USB registrations and remove it to ensure you get a clean install when you re-plug? XMOS VID is 20b1.
Just did that. It just shows up under other devices again in device manager and not working in USBDeview.

I'm fairly sure I never plugged into the other W10 machine before and the same occurs there. It feels like some W10 update messed things up because it definitely worked before.
johned
XCore Addict

Post by johned »

I'd use usbdevview again then re-install the tools
pstnotpd
XCore Addict

Post by pstnotpd »

johned wrote:I'd use usbdevview again then re-install the tools
Well that helped somewhat. The XTAG seems to respond irregularly now but it is definitely not looking very stable.

EDIT: right I have a workaround.
1. Remove the drivers (using usbdeview) and the tools by uninstalling from control panel->programs and features
2. Install xTIMEcomposer 14.2.3 and let it install the usb to JTAG drivers as well
3. Install xTIMEcomposer 14.3.0 but DO NOT INSTALL THE USB TO JTAG drivers. 14.3.0 will now use the drivers installed with 14.2.3

I've built some projects and ran them on the X200 audio platform no problem now.

... but there definitely is something wrong with the USB to JTAG drivers delivered with 14.3.0 for W10. Is it still possible to raise tickets with XMOS?
Last edited by pstnotpd on Fri Jun 02, 2017 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.