Visualizing scheduling /timing of tasks using tracing

Technical questions regarding the XTC tools and programming with XMOS.
mozcelikors
Experienced Member

Visualizing scheduling /timing of tasks using tracing

Post by mozcelikors »

Hello guys,
I have been using XMOS xCore-200 eXplorerKIT for my studies,
It would have been nice if there was a trace visualizer of some sort , or at least getting a schedule of all tasks in the form of a graph, that runs either at run-time or offline.
I know xTIMEcomposer have many features but I did not yet discover such a feature, if there is one, I apologize.
Any guidance as to how this can be achieved is much appreciated.
Last edited by mozcelikors on Fri May 26, 2017 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mozcelikors
Experienced Member

Post by mozcelikors »

Hello,
Thanks for your reply.
Which of those help in visualizing the trace in a scheduling form?
As far as I know xSIM tracing is used for textual trace of instructions (not the timing), and task viewer window shows the cores, tiles and applications on them (so nothing related to timing either).
I want to know if there is a profiler or timing trace tool that can visualize programs running on XMOS board.
Thanks in advance.
mozcelikors
Experienced Member

Post by mozcelikors »

Hmm, well this one shows the worst and best paths afaik. But I need a timing trace. Let me show you an example for a kernel trace;

This is a trace taken from Linux, and visualized using Eclipse-based TraceCompass. It shows at which time scheduler switched to scheduling which task, and what tasks are mapped to which cores.

It uses a standart tracing format .CTF (Common Tracing Format)

Isn't there a similar feature available on XMOS?

Instead of seeing many paths, I want to see how the scheduler actually scheduled and what is the load distribution between cores, either at run-time or after run-time?

Thanks
mon2
XCore Legend

Post by mon2 »