"xcc1llvm.exe has stopped working" Message Topic is solved

Technical questions regarding the XTC tools and programming with XMOS.
RitchRock
XCore Addict

"xcc1llvm.exe has stopped working" Message

Post by RitchRock »

I've been running into an "xcc1llvm.exe has stopped working" message lately. Seems to happen when I build a project. I click "close program" and meanwhile the build progresses and everything seems to compile OK.

I'm on Windows 10 and verified it happens with both xTools 14.2.4 and 14.2.3. Should I worry about this or just continue to click "close program"?

View Solution
robertxmos
XCore Addict

Post by robertxmos »

Hi RitchRock,

xcc1llvm.exe is the C (rather than XC) compiler that the xcc driver calls when it needs a C file built.

Could I bother you to gather the command line output (If you are running the XTimeComposer GUI it is available in one of the lower tab panes).
The output will hopefully give us a clue as to why the message is being popped up - it can be very long!
I am expecting to see a critical failure being reported rather than a compilation error.

(I will worry about what to do next if the command line is clean later)

robert
RitchRock
XCore Addict

Post by RitchRock »

Hi there,

It started happening even when I wasn't building a project. A simple system restart seems to solve the problem. Thanks for the insight!
robertxmos
XCore Addict

Post by robertxmos »

Hi RitchRock

Once the application is built, it is possible to view the task block layout in the 'task viewer' pane.
To do this, xcc1llvm is called to collect the data (reusing the same code used to compile).
In your situation, I believe the data output file's absolute path name is longer than 260 characters (a windows limit), hence the failure.

If you reduce the path name to your project root (and path names to components) you will not hit this limit.
Indeed, I would recommend keeping paths below 100 characters long.
Why?
Because absolute path structure is re-used inside the project's '.build' directory to keep artefacts unique, plus path mangling to make it 'Makefile' friendly.
Once the '.build' directory has it's absolute path prefixed, the final path length can be more than doubled!

We are planning making the .build structure more windows friendly in the future, but there is little we can do about the 260 character limit.

robert
RitchRock
XCore Addict

Post by RitchRock »

Ahhh, OK it all make sense now. My path length was definitely too long for the Workspace in question! Thanks.