program which tile is USB tile?

Technical questions regarding the XTC tools and programming with XMOS.
woodsb
Experienced Member

program which tile is USB tile?

Post by woodsb »

Hello,

(Sorry for cross-posting. Original posting in General Q&A might have been wrong place.)

I am interested in having my application send data out over a USB connection. It seems the simplest way to do this is to use the XUD library.

I believe the cores used for XUD execution have to be on the same tile that the USB PHY is connected to, and that the USB PHY connection can be changed "in software".

For instance, app note AN00182 indicates the change is executed in the Makefile. (Section 3.1, "-DUSB_TILE=tile[1]".)

But a forum post (http://www.xcore.com/viewtopic.php?t=3060) indicates the change is executed in the XN file.

Am I misunderstanding the methods for and capabilities of the USB tile configuration?

If not, can someone explain to me what I have to do to change the specification of which tile is connected to the USB PHY?

Are the two refs discussing different things, or two ways of doing the same thing, or something else?

thanks for your help,
Bill

colin
Experienced Member

Post by colin »

Hi Bill,

You will need to define both.

If you do not give -DUSB_TILE then it is assumed the USB device is attached to tile[0] and all ports used are also on tile[0] (see module_xud/include/xud.h)

You must specify the USB node in you XN file as this describes your network and therefore the routing of the switches between the xcore and usb device. XRUN and XFLASH calculate this routing for you based on the information found within the XN.

Hope this helps
Colin
woodsb
Experienced Member

Post by woodsb »

Hi Colin,

Thanks for the response. Will give it a test then close the thread if I can get it to work!

cheers,
Bill