Boot issue on custom board with tools 14.3.2

Technical questions regarding the XTC tools and programming with XMOS.
bearcat
Respected Member

Boot issue on custom board with tools 14.3.2

Post by bearcat »

I am having some trouble with a custom board that is expandable with either 1 or 2 expansion boards. Using all XU216-512-TQ128-C20 parts. Main board has one tile with each expansion having 2 tiles in series (XL7->XL0). Connected from XL7 + XL0 from the main to each expansion to boot from SPI from main.

Using either expansion board works great booting, operating, and debugging from SPI using either XL7 or XL0 as set in the attached SM8.XN file. Flashing an image using 1 expansion, then installing both also boots and operates great (code using only 1 expansion). Hardware is good.

Using the SM16.xn file compiles fine and debbuger loads and starts. But all tiles are stuck in main() waiting for a control token in this case.

I have attached the XN files for each configuration. I have attached the annotated SM16 (tried both, currently using the non-manual routed version). Also screenshot of startup:

Thanks for any help.
SM16-route.xn
(7.06 KiB) Downloaded 210 times
SM16-route.xn
(7.06 KiB) Downloaded 210 times
SM8.xn
(3.88 KiB) Downloaded 215 times
SM8.xn
(3.88 KiB) Downloaded 215 times
Screenshot from 2018-01-21 13-37-43.png
(479.9 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Screenshot from 2018-01-21 13-37-43.png
(479.9 KiB) Not downloaded yet

colin
Experienced Member

Post by colin »

Hi Bearcat

The SM16 XN looks sound. I've attached a copy of xlreg (you will need to remove the .txt extension) which will dump out the state of all the registers when boot has failed. With the device powered up and booting from flash, use xgdb to attach to the device, source xlreg and then run xlreg. If you can post what it dumps out here then I can take a closer look at where and why it has failed to boot.

Best Wishes,
Colin
Attachments
xlreg.txt
You will need to remove .txt extension
(11.75 KiB) Downloaded 200 times
xlreg.txt
You will need to remove .txt extension
(11.75 KiB) Downloaded 200 times
bearcat
Respected Member

Post by bearcat »

Thanks for the reply.

Ok, another wrinkle, for the better.

Using SM16: debugger no go as above, run no go (also tried adding xtag-divider in extra), flash ran 1 hour without completion (and no errors shown in verbose mode). SM8: debugger and flash good, have not tried run.

Using my field firmware upgrade method to load the flash, the SM16 binary works fine. I use Flash to generate a binary then load via another method. Boots and operates fine. I had not tried this till today with the SM16. Been using this method with the SM8 prior many times.

Since the SM16 is running from flash, no need to XLREG. So appears to be only related to using JTAG with SM16.

My code between the 2 expansions is the same, so I can debug with SM8 and should cover my needs most likely.

So, I have a workaround. I am willing to continue any testing if you want to get this figured out related to the JTAG methods.

Thanks again.