Error "xrun: Cannot load image, XCore 0 is not enabled" Topic is solved

Technical questions regarding the XTC tools and programming with XMOS.
eez-open

Error "xrun: Cannot load image, XCore 0 is not enabled"

Post by eez-open »

This is my first attempt to make connection with XE216-512-TQ128-C20 via XSYS and xTAG3. The MCU is mounted on PCB that I was designed based on the xCORE-200 eXplorerKIT board. I tried to run a simple hello world application but xrun returns the following error (I can see it in xTIMEcomposer (Community_14.3.2 (build 25550, Sep-30-2017)) console):

xrun: Cannot load image, XCore 0 is not enabled

When --list-devices option is included I can see the following:

Available XMOS Devices
----------------------

ID Name Adapter ID Devices
------ ---------- -------
0 XMOS XTAG-3 Na1_g.Ot O[0]

I'd like to know what O[0] as listed device mean, and how to get rid of that error.

View Solution
eez-open

Post by eez-open »

Thanks, I'm aware of that topic (viewtopic.php?t=3713). I've checked and found fine all except #8 (ground paddle on the L1/L2 devices, has not been correctly soldered to the board) that I don't know how to check. When xTAG is not connected or PCB is not powered on xrun does not report O[0] device and I got the following message:

xrun: Problem in connection to device

Don't know if that O[0] is an indication that MCU is properly recognized and therefore properly soldered, too.
Last edited by eez-open on Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mon2
XCore Legend

Post by mon2 »

IC19 on your design is open drain. Please confirm if the output of this OD pin to RESET_N is going high. Suggest to apply an external PU resistor onto the RESET_N pin of such OD buffers.

eez-open

Post by eez-open »

Yes, and R12 is reset pull-up (sorry for placing in on the sheet 2/5):

mon2
XCore Legend

Post by mon2 »

Please confirm the value on S pin of your MUX (IC11 and IC14 pin 1).

eez-open

Post by eez-open »

Thanks mon2 for your review, yes I'm aware of that bug with MUX selection (I have to move it from pin 3 to pin 5 on IC9). But here was a problem with obviously two pins soldered together on the MCU. After that I got the following, that I believe is a proof that MCU is now working:

If that is a case then I can continue trying to run something from flash (after rectifying that small issue with MUX selection signal).
mon2
XCore Legend

Post by mon2 »

Excellent :) Have fun. BTW - Nice board. During our last visit to Asia, met with PCBWay and PCBGogo in 2 different aisles at the HK Electronic Fair. After a face to face meeting, they acknowledged they are the same company and just 2 different ways to gain market share. Just a FYI on Asian suppliers. So many vendors but most are just fronts to the actual company.
eez-open

Post by eez-open »

mon2 wrote:Excellent :) Have fun. BTW - Nice board. During our last visit to Asia, met with PCBWay and PCBGogo in 2 different aisles at the HK Electronic Fair. After a face to face meeting, they acknowledged they are the same company and just 2 different ways to gain market share. Just a FYI on Asian suppliers. So many vendors but most are just fronts to the actual company.
Nice to know. BTW, I ordered this one from ALLPCB, and yes, also hear some rumour that is somehow connected with PCBWay :).
mon2
XCore Legend

Post by mon2 »

The offers we have seen from some of our suppliers we met at the last fair are mind blowing. For example 4L PCB for under $1 USD with flash gold (we have paid easily 2-3 times this cost in volume). That is not common BUT - the low cost vendor is restrictive on the PCB trace width & space (5-6 mil) and cannot support impedance controlled traces. We are experimenting with buried and blind vias in 6L these days. So if you believe you have a perfect set of gerbers that do not demand this impedance control service, there are ways to cut costs. The focus of this supplier are white goods companies who demand low costs. For our higher speed designs, we do use impedance control and halogen free laminates to sell into Europe (demanded by HP and Foxconn). Already received notice for us to be compliant with ROHS3 soon. Next hurdle to jump. Not common to find halogen free connectors without premiums :(

BTW - do you have ESD protection on this iteration of the PCB for the USB traces? Consider Socay (Shenzhen, CN) as they are very good and supply major brands under their private label. Did ALLPCB perform impedance control for your USB traces?