IDE keeps changing project files behind my back

Technical questions regarding the XTC tools and programming with XMOS.
aneves
Experienced Member

IDE keeps changing project files behind my back

Post by aneves »

Hello,

I've noticed several instances where the IDE is modifying project files behind my back. By project files, I don't mean source or header files but .cproject and .prefs files. Whenever I switch branches in source code control, I see that these files have been changed by the IDE. When I diff the .cproject files, it looks like the IDE is trying to add every folder in my workspace as an include folder to every project which is rather annoying.

When I diff the .prefs file, it looks like it's just growing by adding the same sets of information just under a different identifying number.

Additionally, whenever I use the XMOS makefile editor to modify the text version of the Makefile, I keep getting prompts after I save that the file has changed on disk and to reload it. I have a feeling this is related to how the IDE is able to automatically discover build configs from the Makefile and populate them in the build configs menu of the IDE. This feature has caused me issues when I've tried to create build configs that depend on variables, e.g., XCC_FLAGS_$(CONFIG) as well.

I'm sure these features are very useful for beginners, however we have a complex and specialized application and I see these features as constant nuances. Is there a way I can turn these off? I'd like to be able to fine tune my projects and build configs and not have the IDE modify anything automatically.

Thanks!

andrewxcav

Post by andrewxcav »

I have only noticed this issue with the .cproject file. What version of the IDE are you running? I know that if I remove build configs from the Makefile it will prompt me to remove them from (presumably the .project file), but that one gives you the option to say no.
aneves
Experienced Member

Post by aneves »

I'm using v14.3.3 of xTimeComposer Studio but I've seen the same behavior in previous releases of v14.

Does anyone know how to turn off these "auto" features off?