How do you program XE216-512-TQ128 without XSYS dongle? Topic is solved

Technical questions regarding the XTC tools and programming with XMOS.
lslarry86

How do you program XE216-512-TQ128 without XSYS dongle?

Post by lslarry86 »

I'm doing my first XMOS design, basically copying the xCORE-200 with my own I/O design. So far all my software work has been through the XSYS dongle on J2, mainly because the Eclipse debug button wanted to route through there.

What other methods are available to program the board? In deployment I would greatly prefer to update firmware via USB or Ethernet, and this is the time to get any needed support for those functions into my design.

If there is a document to read, please point me in the right direction. I'm not going to claim to have read everything, but I have not seen this topic described.

View Solution
mon2
XCore Legend

Post by mon2 »

Hi. You have a few options:

1) Use the xsys connector or at least a subset of mandatory connections to interface with the XMOS CPU of your choice. While most of the seen XMOS kits are using the fairly large 0.1" (2.54 mm pitch) box / shrouded key headers, you are free to create your custom mini version for mass programming. Best to walk though a virtual process on how to program if the board was in front of you today. Some developers are placing SMD pads with pogo pin. Using this method, you could apply an external wire harness via the pogo pins to place the XMOS CPU into reset -> will tri-state the interface SPI flash lines -> proceed to assert your signals directly onto the onboard external flash to upload your code for your widget.

2) Consider to use the XEF series which features a flash device inside the CPU and repeat the above ideas. This may be more secure for your consideration.

The mode pins will define how the CPU is to boot the firmware (ie. via external flash or over XMOS links, etc.).

Then there is the internal OTP (one time programmable) space that could be used as some form of a lock and key to prevent piracy. Once you get started at your factory with the initial code upload to your board, you could apply a DFU solution that can then proceed using USB, etc. interface. Again, test and retest to be sure you have a solid solution before moving to a custom PCB.
lslarry86

Post by lslarry86 »

Thank you. It sounds like there is no approved or prefabricated method for network firmware update.