XMOS for USB audio interface + audio app

New to XMOS and XCore? Get started here.
adamski

XMOS for USB audio interface + audio app

Post by adamski »

I am currently developing an audio app (looping and processing) for iOS and we're looking for an integrated USB solution for some dedicated hardware (4x analog i/o). Ideally something that in the future could be the base for a complete hardware solution - i.e. the looping and processing done on the MCU.

I've been looking at the Teensy but it does not yet support High Speed USB. I am becoming comfortable programming the Teensy but XMOS xCore seems like a different kind of beast. Initially I was wondering about combining the Teensy and the xCore audio interface via I2S, but it looks like I should be able to code the looping app directly on the xCore. Just have to learn xc etc. I currently use the JUCE C++ library to build mobile and desktop audio apps.

adamski

Post by adamski »

What would I need to get started developing for a project like this?

I am looking at: SliceKit Starter Kit, Audio Slice card and maybe the 8MB SDRAM Slice card? Would this provide the necessary USB connectivity to act as an audio interface or does this require another card?
Ross
XCore Expert

Post by Ross »

Hmm, the only current board thats iOS compatible is the 216 based multi-channel board.

However, adding SDRAM would be a pain I suspect..

Are you MFI certified? You won't be able to access Apple related HW and code without being so.
adamski

Post by adamski »

Yes, after looking into it a bit more it looks like the 216 board (xCORE-200 Multichannel Audio Platform) might be the one to go with.

No, not MFI certified, I am doing some research on behalf of a client (a hardware guy) who would need to get MFI certified.

I guess my main question then, is XMOS a good platform to do audio looping (with potentially long hi-res audio samples) or would the addition of either embedded linux, or e.g. Teensy 3.6 to handle that side of things be a better fit? Then the XMOS side could be utilised for pre / post audio processing tasks.
adamski

Post by adamski »

Another option might be to write the audio direct to an SD card. Just not sure if that would be fast enough for up to 4 channels of audio.